In the name of honour
- TVE International ; BBC Worldwide ; produced and directed by Alex Gabbay.
- English, Arabic, Kurdish. In English, Kurdish and Arabic with English voiceovers.
- [Oley, Pennsylvania] : [Distributed by] Bullfrog Films, 
- Physical description
- 1 streaming video file (24 min.) : digital, sound, color.
- Life (Bullfrog Films) ; 21.
- Gabbay, Alex, film producer, film director, editor of moving image work.
- Gawin, Luke, film producer.
- Richards, Jenny (Film producer), film producer.
- Lamb, Robert, 1952-2012, editor of moving image work.
- Atkins, Rachel, narrator.
- Bullfrog Films.
- BBC Worldwide Ltd.
- Television Trust for the Environment.
- A former doctor, Nasik gave up her career to run a shelter for women living under threat of death from their families. 'Till now, ' she says, 'hundreds of women have been killed in Iraqi Kurdistan simply because they fell in love, or because they demanded their basic rights -- such as the right to divorce or to be treated as a human being, to go outdoors, to be free to talk to other men.' Beyan is a lawyer fighting to change the laws on justice for women. 'A lot of people treat honor like capital, ' she explains, 'and for them, their capital is women and should be guarded closely.' Ironically, one area of Kurdish life where women are most free is the government-backed Peshmerga Force of women soldiers. 31-year-old Rezan, their commander, spent two years in Iraqi prisons, and lost both her brother and fiance to Saddam Hussein's forces. Now she teaches her young recruits to stand up for their rights. 'Young women should be active players in tomorrow's society, ' she says. 'I teach them how to look after themselves.'
- Globalization > Social aspects.
- Women, Kurdish > Iraq > Social conditions.
- Kurds > Iraq > Social conditions.
- Kurds > Crimes against > Iraq.
- Kurds > Civil rights > Iraq.
- Women > Iraq > Social conditions.
- Women > Iraq > Economic conditions.
- Women > Crimes against > Iraq.
- Women's rights > Iraq.
- Women soldiers > Iraq.
- Human rights > Iraq.
- Kurdistān (Iraq) > Social conditions.
- Kurdistān (Iraq) > Ethnic relations.
- Iraq > Ethnic relations.
- Release date
- Production date
- Life ; 21
- Title from title frames.
- Originally produced by: TVE International, ©2000.
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- Production Credits
- Editor, Alex Gabbay ; executive producer, Jenny Richards ; series producer, Luke Gawin ; series editor, Robert Lamb.
- Commentary: Rachel Atkins.
- 7 and up.
- System requirements: Firefox 4 and up; Safari 5.0 and up; Chrome version 21 and up; Internet Explorer 8 and up; Flash or HTML5 player.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Publisher Number
- bf-lsinh Docuseek2