Risk conundrums : solving unsolvable problems
- edited by Roger E. Kasperson.
- London ; New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxi, 276 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Earthscan risk in society series.
- Kasperson, Roger E. author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Susanne Moser Introduction Roger Kasperson and Susanne Moser
- * How Can We Be Sure That We Are Working on the Right Risks? Roger Kasperson, B. Ram, and S. Ratick
- * Whose Views Really Matter in the End? Roger Kasperson, Paul Slovic, Nick Pidgeon, and Ortwin Renn
- * How Do We Move Forward When There Is No Trust? Seth Tuler, Roger Kasperson, Dominic Golding, and Timothy Downs
- * How Can We Best Deal with the Unexpected? Robert Goble, Roger Kasperson, and Samuel Ratick
- * How Can We Learn More from Learning about Risk Controversies? S. Tuler, K. Dow and, T. Webler
- * The Role of Insurance and Other Policy Tools in Reducing the Economic Effects of Global Disasters Howard Kunreuther
- * How Can We Improve Decision Making in the Face of Catastrophic Risk? Howard Kunreuther, Paul Slovic, and Kimberly Giusti Olson
- * Risk Communication and Social Media Jeannette Sutton and Shari Veil
- * China's Development and Environmental Risk Management: A Balanced Perspective for the Future J. Bi, G. Greene, Z. Ma, J. Wiener, F. Yu, O. Renn, S. Zhang, H. Vennemo, J. Zhang, S. Andrews, P. Wang, H. Cheng, C. Bao, W. Zeng, Q. Guo, Y. Qian, C. Qu, W. Zhang, G. Cao, M. Liu, K. Chen, G. Han, K. Wang, J. Wang, and J. Qu
- * Addressing Risk Conundrums in Megacity Development: Mexico City Timothy J. Downs and Marisa Mazari-Hiriart
- * Ambiguity in an Ambiguous Region Jeremy Tasch and Weiwei Tasch
- * Risk Conundrums of the Renewable Energy Transition: Can We Balance Opportunities, Optimism, and Challenges? Bonnie Ram and Jennie Stephens
- * Hydraulic Fracturing - A Risk for Environment, Energy Security and Affordability? Nick Pidgeon, Merryn Thomas, Tristan Partridge, Darrick Evensen, and Barbara Harthorn
- * Out of Harm's Way: Challenges in Reducing Current and Future Coastal Risk Exposure Susanne C. Moser, Kirstin Dow, and Seth Tuler
- * Addressing Risk Conundrums in Sustainable Development Timothy J. Downs, Edward R. Carr and Robert Goble
- * Vulnerability does not just fall from the Sky: Addressing the Vulnerability Conundrum Jesse Ribot
- * Risk Governance: Concept and Application to Systemic Risk Ortwin Renn
- * How Can We Prevent the Collapse of Humanitarian Values in Foreign Policy Decisions? Paul Slovic, Robin Gregory, Daniel Vastfjall, and David Frank.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
A risk conundrum can be viewed as a risk that poses major issues in assessment, and whose management is not easily engaged. Such perplexing problems can either paralyze or badly delay risk analysis and directions for progression. Rather than simply focusing on the progress in risk analysis that has already been made, it is crucial to consider what has been learnt about these seemingly unmanageable problems and how best to move forward. Risk Conundrums seeks to answer this question by bringing together a range of key thinkers in the field to explore key issues such as risk communication, uncertainty, social trust, indicators and metrics, and risk management, drawing upon case study examples including natural disasters, terrorism, and energy transitions. The initial chapters address risk conundrums, their properties, and the challenges they pose. The book then turns to a greater emphasis on systemic and regional risk conundrums. Finally, it considers how risk management can be changed to address these unsolvable conundrums. Alternative pathways are defined and scrutinized and predictions for future developments set out. This book will be of great interest to students and scholars of risk governance, environmental policy, and sustainable development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Earthscan risk in society series
- "Earthscan from Routledge."
- 9781138956063 (hb)
- 1138956066 (hb)
- 9781138956070 (pb)
- 1138956074 (pb)
- 9781315665894 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: