[Depicts Africa from the Mediterranean to The Cape, excluding West Africa].
- Rome : Pigafetta, Filippo, 1533-1604, 1591.
- Physical description
- 1 map ; 62 x 43 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G8200 1591 .P5||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The collection contains 312 maps of Africa and its islands collected by Oscar I. Norwich, and includes sea charts and maps of Southern Africa; the Cape of Good Hope; North, East, and West Africa; islands, ports, and town plans. The majority of the maps are loose items, but a certain number are from rare, published atlases; a few were published in travel books.
- Publication date
- Map Data
- Scale in hundred leagues (W 18°--E 51°/N 37°--S 35°)
- Appears in: Relatione del reame di Congo et delle circonvicine contrade (1591)
- Pigafetta's depiction of the origin of the Nile is an important landmark in the historical cartography of the Nile water basin, completely changing the traditional Ptolemaic concept. Dedicated to Antonio Miglioni Vescovo S. Marco.
- Norwich, I., Pam Kolbe, and Jeffrey C Stone. Norwich's Maps of Africa: An Illustrated and Annotated Carto-Bibliography. 2nd ed. / rev. and edited by Jeffrey C. Stone. Norwich, Vt.: Terra Nova Press, 1997, map 0016, p. 23
- Dr. Oscar I. Norwich
- David Rumsey Map Center copy 1: Norwich no. NOR 0016.
Browse related items
Start at call number: