The art of football : the early game in the golden age of illustration
- Michael Oriard ; includes Edward Penfield, J.C. Leyendecker, Frederic Remington, Charles Dana Gibson, George Bellows, and many others.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxxv, 243 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 19 x 27 cm
- Oriard, Michael, 1948- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 213-235) and index.
- List of Plates List of Figures Introduction
- 1. Harper's Weekly and the Beginnings of American Football Art
- 2. The Gibson Girl, the Yellow Kid, and the Art of the Football Cartoon
- 3. Edward Penfield, J. C. Leyendecker, and Football Poster Art
- 4. Howard Giles, George Bellows, and the Illustrated Football Story Notes Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The Art of Football is a singular look at early college football art and illustrations. This collection contains more than two hundred images, many rare or previously unpublished, from a variety of sources, including artists Winslow Homer, Edward Penfield, J. C. Leyendecker, Frederic Remington, Charles Dana Gibson, George Bellows, and many others. Along with the rich art that captured the essence of football during its early period, Michael Oriard provides a historical context for the images and for football during this period, showing that from the beginning it was perceived more as a test of courage and training in manliness than simply an athletic endeavor. Oriard's analysis shows how these early artists had to work out for themselves-and for readers-what in the new game should be highlighted and how it should appear on the page or canvas. The Art of Football takes modern readers back to the day when players themselves were new to the sport, and illustrators had to show the public what the new game of football was. Oriard demonstrates how artists focused on football's dual nature as a grueling sport to be played and as a social event and spectacle to be watched. Through its illustrations and words The Art of Football gives readers an engaging look at the earliest depictions of the game and the origins of the United States as a football nation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780803290693 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 0803290691 (cloth ; alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: