Santa Bárbara's legacy : an environmental history of Huancavelica, Peru
- by Nicholas A. Robins.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2017.
- Physical description
- xvi, 225 pages ; 25 cm.
- Brill's series in the history of the environment ; v. 5.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|GE160 .P4 R63 2017||Unknown|
- Robins, Nicholas A., 1964- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Huaca-Villca : from geological formation to Spanish conquest
- The Pachacuti : colonization, catastrophe and the rise of mercury
- "A horrible business" : the Mita
- The Bourbon era : reform and resentment
- "They all come to die" : mining, mishaps and mercurialism
- Desuetude, decay and neglect : the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
- Publisher's Summary
- In Santa Barbara's Legacy: An Environmental History of Huancavelica, Peru, Nicholas A. Robins presents the first comprehensive environmental history of a mercury producing region in Latin America. Tracing the origins, rise and decline of the regional population and economy from pre-history to the present, Robins explores how people's multifaceted, intimate and often toxic relationship with their environment has resulted in Huancavelica being among the most mercury-contaminated urban areas on earth. The narrative highlights issues of environmental justice and the toxic burdens that contemporary residents confront, especially many of those who live in adobe homes and are exposed to mercury, as well as lead and arsenic, on a daily basis. The work incorporates archival and printed primary sources as well as scientific research led by the author.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004339781 20170807
- Huancavelica (Peru) > Environmental conditions.
- Mercury mines and mining > Environmental aspects > Peru > Huancavelica > History.
- Mercury mines and mining > Health aspects > Peru > Huancavelica > History.
- Indians, Treatment of > Peru > Huancavelica > History.
- Environmental degradation > Peru > Huancavelica > History.
- Hazardous wastes > Peru > Huancavelica > History.
- Publication date
- Brill's series in the history of the environment, 1876-6595 ; volume 5
- Available in another form
- Online version: Robins, Nicholas A., 1964- Santa Bárbara's legacy. Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2017 ( 9789004343795 )
- 9789004339781 hardcover ; acid-free paper
- 9004339787 hardcover ; acid-free paper
- 9789004343795 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: