Negation and contact : with special focus on Singapore English
- edited by Debra Ziegeler, Zhiming Bao.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Publishing Company, 
- Physical description
- vi, 208 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm.
- Studies in language companion series ; v. 183.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface and acknowledgements
- Introduction / Debra Ziegeler and Zhiming Bao
- Towards a diachronic reconstruction of Colloquial Singapore English / Peter Siemund and Lijun Li
- Neg-raising and long-distance licensing of negative polarity items / Jack Hoeksema
- A positive polarity focus particle under negation : not also and the impact of pragmatic activation / Pierre Larrivée
- What is strict negative concord? Lessons from French based Creoles / Viviane Deprez
- Englishes, English Creoles and their negative indefinites / Johan van der Auwera
- Negative raising in Singapore English / Zhiming Bao and Luwen Cao
- Quantification under negative scope in Singapore English / Debra Ziegeler
- Subject index.
The study of negation across languages has left no stone unturned with respect to a range of frequently-researched areas, such as negative raising, negative concord, and the behavior of quantifiers under negative scope. Past research has chiefly focused on the category of negation from a cross-linguistic perspective, with probably less attention devoted to the study of negation across dialects of languages, or across contact languages. The observation of universal quantification in the scope of negation in the English spoken in Singapore, for example, is an area which has been largely under-researched in the literature, as has the rarely-reported phenomenon of negative raising in Singapore English. The present volume profiles some of the problems of negation in English and Singapore English, framed against the background of studies of negation in other contact dialects of English and pidgins/creoles, and offering a diverse range of theoretical approaches to the problems.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- English language > Singapore > Grammar > Congresses.
- English language > Dialects > Singapore > Grammar > Congresses.
- English language > Spoken English > Singapore > Congresses.
- English language > Negatives > Congresses.
- Languages in contact > Singapore > Congresses.
- Language and culture > Singapore > Congresses.
- Singapore > Languages > Congresses.
- Publication date
- Studies in language companion series (SLCS), 0165-7763 ; volume 183
- Papers from two workshops held at the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris 3, on 25 September, 2015 and 3 May, 2016.
- 9789027259486 (hd.bd.)
- 9789027265944 (online)
- 9027259488 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: