Living in the environment
- G. Tyler Miller, Scott E. Spoolman.
- Nineteenth edition.
- Boston, MA : Cengage Learning, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxxiii, 699, 46, 23, 21 pages : color illustrations, color maps ; 29 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|GE105 .M547 2018||Unknown|
- PART I: HUMANS AND SUSTAINABILITY: AN OVERVIEW. 1. The Environment and Sustainability. PART II: SCIENCE, ECOLOGICAL PRINCIPLES, AND SUSTAINABILITY. 2. Science, Matter, Energy, and Systems. 3. Ecosystems: What Are They and How Do They Work? 4. Biodiversity and Evolution. 5. Species Interactions, Ecological Succession, and Population Control. 6. The Human Population and Its Impact. 7. Climate and Biodiversity. 8. Aquatic Biodiversity. PART III: SUSTAINING BIODIVERSITY. 9. Sustaining Biodiversity: Saving Species and Ecosystem Services. 10. Sustaining Terrestrial Biodiversity: Saving Ecosystems and Ecosystem Services. 11. Sustaining Aquatic Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services. PART IV: SUSTAINING NATURAL RESOURCES. 12. Food Production and the Environment. 13. Water Resources. 14. Geology and Mineral Resources. 15. Nonrenewable Energy. 16. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. PART V: SUSTAINING ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY. 17. Environmental Hazards and Human Health. 18. Air Pollution and Ozone Depletion. 19. Climate Change. 20. Water Pollution. 21. Solid and Hazardous Waste. 22. Urbanization and Sustainability. PART VI: SUSTAINING HUMAN SOCIETIES. 23. Economics, Environment, and Sustainability. 24. Politics, Environment, and Sustainability. 25. Environmental Worldviews, Ethics, and Sustainability. SUPPLEMENTS. 1. Measurement Units. 2. Reading Graphs and Maps. 3. Some Basic Chemistry. 4. Maps and Map Analysis. 5. Environmental Data and Data Analysis. 6. Geologic and Biological Time Scale.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781337094153 20170821
- Publisher's Summary
- In the new edition of LIVING IN THE ENVIRONMENT, authors Miller and Spoolman work with the National Geographic Society in developing a text that equips students with the inspiration and knowledge they need to make a difference in solving today's environmental issues. Using sustainability as the integrating theme, the 19th Edition provides clear introductions to multiple environmental problems and balanced discussions to evaluate potential solutions. New Core Case Studies bring important real-world stories to the forefront; questions added to the captions of figures that involve data graphs give students additional practice in evaluating data; and a new focus on learning from nature highlights principles and applications of biomimicry. The MindTap edition offers additional exclusive National Geographic content and includes a new Think Like an Environmental Scientist activity that introduces important research topics and gives students practice in using the process of science.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781337094153 20170821
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Includes index.
- 1337094153 (student edition)
- 9781337094153 (student edition)
Browse related items
Start at call number: