Precalculus with modeling & visualization
- Gary K. Rockswold, Minnesota State University, Mankato, with Terry A. Krieger, Rochester Community and Technical College, and Jessica C. Rockswold.
- 6th edition.
- [New York] : Pearson, 
- Physical description
- xxi, 968 pages, 190 variously numbered pages ; 29 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA331.3 .R63 2018||Unknown|
- 1. Introduction to Functions and Graphs 1.1 Numbers, Data, and Problem Solving 1.2 Visualizing and Graphing Data Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 1.1 and 1.2 1.3 Functions and Their Representations 1.4 Types of Functions and Their Rates of Change Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 1.3 and 1.4 Chapter 1 Summary Chapter 1 Review Exercises Chapter 1 Extended and Discovery Exercises 2. Linear Functions and Equations 2.1 Equations of Lines 2.2 Linear Equations Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 2.1 and 2.2 2.3 Linear Inequalities 2.4 More Modeling with Functions Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 2.3 and 2.4 2.5 Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities Checking Basic Concepts for Section 2.5 Chapter 2 Summary Chapter 2 Review Exercises Chapter 2 Extended and Discovery Exercises Chapters 1-2 Cumulative Review Exercises 3. Quadratic Functions and Equations 3.1 Quadratic Functions and Models 3.2 Quadratic Equations and Problem Solving Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 3.1 and 3.2 3.3 Complex Numbers 3.4 Quadratic Inequalities Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 3.3 and 3.4 3.5 Transformations of Graphs Checking Basic Concepts for Section 3.5 Chapter 3 Summary Chapter 3 Review Exercises Chapter 3 Extended and Discovery Exercises 4. More Nonlinear Functions and Equations 4.1 More Nonlinear Functions and Their Graphs 4.2 Polynomial Functions and Models Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 4.1 and 4.2 4.3 Division of Polynomials 4.4 Real Zeros of Polynomial Functions Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 4.3 and 4.4 4.5 The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra 4.6 Rational Functions and Models Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 4.5 and 4.6 4.7 More Equations and Inequalities 4.8 Radical Equations and Power Functions Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 4.7 and 4.8 Chapter 4 Summary Chapter 4 Review Exercises Chapter 4 Extended and Discovery Exercises Chapters 1-4 Cumulative Review Exercises 5. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions 5.1 Combining Functions 5.2 Inverse Functions and Their Representations Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 5.1 and 5.2 5.3 Exponential Functions and Models 5.4 Logarithmic Functions and Models Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 5.3 and 5.4 5.5 Properties of Logarithms 5.6 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 5.5 and 5.6 5.7 Constructing Nonlinear Models Checking Basic Concepts for Section 5.7 Chapter 5 Summary Chapter 5 Review Exercises Chapter 5 Extended and Discovery Exercises 6. Trigonometric Functions 6.1 Angles and Their Measure 6.2 Right Triangle Trigonometry Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 6.1 and 6.2 6.3 The Sine and Cosine Functions and Their Graphs 6.4 Other Trigonometric Functions and Their Graphs Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 6.3 and 6.4 6.5 Graphing Trigonometric Functions 6.6 Inverse Trigonometric Functions Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 6.5 and 6.6 Chapter 6 Summary Chapter 6 Review Exercises Chapter 6 Extended and Discovery Exercises Chapters 1-6 Cumulative Review Exercises 7. Trigonometric Identities and Equations 7.1 Fundamental Identities 7.2 Verifying Identities Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 7.1 and 7.2 7.3 Trigonometric Equations 7.4 Sum and Difference Identities Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 7.3 and 7.4 7.5 Multiple-Angle Identities Checking Basic Concepts for Section 7.5 Chapter 7 Summary Chapter 7 Review Exercises Chapter 7 Extended and Discovery Exercises 8. Further Topics in Trigonometry 8.1 Law of Sines 8.2 Law of Cosines Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 8.1 and 8.2 8.3 Vectors 8.4 Parametric Equations Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 8.3 and 8.4 8.5 Polar Equations 8.6 Trigonometric Form and Roots of Complex Numbers Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 8.5 and 8.6 Chapter 8 Summary Chapter 8 Review Exercises Chapter 8 Extended and Discovery Exercises Chapters 1-8 Cumulative Review Exercises 9. Systems of Equations and Inequalities 9.1 Functions and Systems of Equations in Two Variables 9.2 Systems of Inequalities in Two Variables Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 9.1 and 9.2 9.3 Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables 9.4 Solutions to Linear Systems Using Matrices Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 9.3 and 9.4 9.5 Properties and Applications of Matrices 9.6 Inverses of Matrices Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 9.5 and 9.6 9.7 Determinants Checking Basic Concepts for Section 9.7 Chapter 9 Summary Chapter 9 Review Exercises Chapter 9 Extended and Discovery Exercises Chapters 1-9 Cumulative Review Exercises 10. Conic Sections 10.1 Parabolas 10.2 Ellipses Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 10.1 and 10.2 10.3 Hyperbolas Checking Basic Concepts for Section 10.3 Chapter 10 Summary Chapter 10 Review Exercises Chapter 10 Extended and Discovery Exercises 11. Further Topics in Algebra 11.1 Sequences 11.2 Series Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 11.1 and 11.2 11.3 Counting 11.4 The Binomial Theorem Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 11.3 and 11.4 11.5 Mathematical Induction 11.6 Probability Checking Basic Concepts for Sections 11.5 and 11.6 Chapter 11 Summary Chapter 11 Review Exercises Chapter 11 Extended and Discovery Exercises Chapters 1-11 Cumulative Review Exercises R. Reference: Basic Concepts from Algebra and Geometry R.1 Formulas from Geometry R.2 Integer Exponents R.3 Polynomial Expressions R.4 Factoring Polynomials R.5 Rational Expressions R.6 Radical Notation and Rational Exponents R.7 Radical Expressions Appendix A: Using the Graphing Calculator Appendix B: A Library of Functions Appendix C: Partial Fractions Appendix D: Percent Change and Exponential Functions Appendix E: Rotation of Axes Bibliography Answers to Selected Exercises Photo Credits Index of Applications Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780134418032 20170821
- Publisher's Summary
- For courses in Precalculus Mathematics. Showing why math matters Gary Rockswold doesn't just mention real-world examples; he teaches mathematical concepts through those applications. For example, if we look at Facebook usage over time, what might that tell us about linear growth and predictions? In this way, students learn the concepts in the context of the world they know, which leads to better understanding and retention. From there, the author shows a connection between application, modeling, and visualization. Rockswold is known for presenting the concept of a function as a unifying theme, with an emphasis on the rule of four (verbal, graphical, numerical, and symbolic representations). The 6th Edition emphasizes conceptual understanding with new in-chapter features and assignment options, while at the same time providing tools to empower instructors to make their classroom more active through collaboration and group work. Also available with MyLab Math MyLab(TM) Math is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to engage students and improve results. Within its structured environment, students practice what they learn, test their understanding, and pursue a personalized study plan that helps them absorb course material and understand difficult concepts. The 6th Edition continues to expand the comprehensive auto-graded exercise options. The pre-existing exercises were carefully reviewed, vetted, and improved using aggregated student usage and performance data over time. In addition, MyLab Math includes new options to support conceptual learning, visualization, and student preparedness. Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyLab(TM) does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MyLab, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MyLab, search for: 0134434625 / 9780134434629 Precalculus with Modeling & Visualization plus MyLab Math with eText -- Access Card Package, 6/e Package consists of: *0134418034 / 9780134418032 Precalculus with Modeling & Visualization*0321431308 / 9780321431301 MyLab Math -- Glue-in Access Card*0321654064 / 9780321654069 MyLab Math Inside Star Sticker MyLab Math should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780134418032 20170821
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Precalculus with modeling and visualization
- Includes index.
- 9780134418032 standard edition
- 0134418034 standard edition
- 9780134418605 annotated instructor's edition
- 0134418603 annotated instructor's edition
- 9780134764634 text with access code
- 0134764633 text with access code
Browse related items
Start at call number: