Life in the Himalaya : an ecosystem at risk
- Maharaj K. Pandit.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : Harvard University Press, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 364 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QH193 .H5 P36 2017||Unknown|
- Pandit, Maharaj K., 1958- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -350) and index.
- Prologue: Past as precursor of future
- I. Natural phase.
- 1. The Himalayan memoir ;
- 2. Tectonic serendipity ;
- 3. International biological highway ;
- 4. Life in flux
- II. Cultural phase.
- 5. The first axe ;
- 6. The Chipko saga
- III. Mechanical phase.
- 7. The first train to Lhasa ;
- 8. Dam rivers, damn rivers ;
- 9. Payback time
- IV. Networking phase.
- 10. Toward sustainability ;
- 11. Individuals, institutions, and ideals.
- ["Life in the Himalaya explores the interconnectedness between geophysical and biological components of the mountain and its relation to the sustainability of human activities in the region. At the end of glacial age, the Himalayan landscape was significantly transformed by humans; today nearly one-fourth of the world population inhabits the Himalayan river basins. With the unfolding of burgeoning human population, urbanization, geo-politics of militarization, automobile revolution, tourism and dam-building, the Himalaya is an ecosystem at risk where human communities suffer recurrent natural disasters. The book comprehensively reviews Himalaya's past and present and suggests a future of sustainable living. To achieve this, human communities must operate within the region's carrying capacity that is based on Himalaya's geological vulnerability, ecological fragility and human cultural sensitivity.--", "Provided by publisher"]
- Nature > Effect of human beings on > Himalaya Mountains Region.
- Sustainability > Himalaya Mountains Region.
- Ecosystem management > Himalaya Mountains Region.
- Himalaya Mountains Region > Environmental conditions.
- Ecosystem management.
- Nature > Effect of human beings on.
- Himalaya Mountains Region.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780674971745 hardcover
- 0674971744 hardcover
Browse related items
Start at call number: