A history of infamy : crime, truth, and justice in Mexico
- Pablo Piccato.
- Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 374 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Violence in Latin American history ; 4.
Law Library (Crown)
|HV6813.5 .P53 2017||Unknown|
- Piccato, Pablo, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: A national history of infamy
- From transparency to darkness : justice and publicity in the mirror of criminal juries
- A look at the crime scene : the nota roja and the public pursuit of truth
- Lost detectives : policemen, torture, ley fuga
- Horrible crimes : murderers as authors
- Careful guys : pistoleros and the business of politics
- Our times, our perspectives : the emergence of Mexican crime fiction
- Our models of dread : crime as revenge, justice, and art
- Conclusion: Trying to keep our eyes open.
- Publisher's Summary
- A History of Infamy explores the broken nexus between crime, justice, and truth in mid-twentieth-century Mexico. Faced with the violence and impunity that defined politics, policing, and the judicial system in post-revolutionary times, Mexicans sought truth and justice outside state institutions. During this period, criminal news and crime fiction flourished. Civil society's search for truth and justice led, paradoxically, to the normalization of extrajudicial violence and neglect of the rights of victims. As Pablo Piccato demonstrates, ordinary people in Mexico have made crime and punishment central concerns of the public sphere during the last century, and in doing so have shaped crime and violence in our times.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520292628 20170626
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Crime, truth, and justice in Mexico
- Violence in Latin American history ; 4
- 9780520292611 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 0520292618 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 9780520292628 paperback ; alkaline paper
- 0520292626 paperback ; alkaline paper
- 9780520966079 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: