Prairie defender : the murder trials of Abraham Lincoln
- George R. Dekle, Sr.
- Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, 
- Physical description
- xiv, 231 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Dekle, George R., 1948- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 215-221) and index.
- Introduction: The legend of Lincoln the lawyer
- People versus Henry B. Truett, October 13, 1838
- People versus William Fraim, April 23, 1839
- People versus Spencer Turner, May 23, 1840
- People versus Archibald and William Trailor, June 18, 1841
- Various criminal cases, 1845-46
- People versus James and George Denton, June 12, 1846
- Various criminal cases, 1850-53
- People versus Moses Loe, May 19, 1853 -- People versus David Longnecker, June 3, 1856
- Lincoln's pardon practice
- People versus Jane and Theodore Anderson, November 28, 1856
- People versus Isaac Wyant, April 4, 1857
- People versus John Bantzhouse, October 2, 1857
- People versus Melissa Goings, October 10, 1857
- People versus Duff Armstrong, May 7, 1858
- People versus Tom Patterson, April 21, 1859
- People versus Peachy Quinn Harrison, September 3, 1859
- The legacy of Lincoln the lawyer.
The conventional wisdom says that most of Lincoln's practice involved collecting debt and representing railroads; that he only practiced law as a platform for his political career; that criminal law was only a minuscule part of his practice; and that he was particularly bad at defending homicide cases. A survey of Lincoln's murder cases demonstrates that he was first and foremost a trial lawyer, that the trial of criminal cases was an important part of his practice, and that he was not only a very good criminal trial lawyer, he was very capable of defending murder cases. Dekle devotes a chapter to each of Lincoln's well-documented criminal cases, paying particular attention to homicide cases. He consolidates cases for which we have little reference material into a single chapter and ends with an overall assessment of Lincoln as a criminal trial lawyer.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Murder trials of Abraham Lincoln
- 9780809335978 hardcover
- 0809335972 hardcover
- 9780809335985 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: