A companion to applied philosophy
- edited by Kasper Lippert-Rasmussen, Kimberley Brownlee, and David Coady.
- Chichester, West Sussex : John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2017.
- Physical description
- xix, 640 pages ; 25 cm.
- Blackwell companions to philosophy.
At the library
Philosophy Library (Tanner)
|B72 .B565 1991 V.64||In-library use|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors ix Foreword xvi Acknowledgments xix Part I Introductory Articles 1 1 The Nature of Applied Philosophy 3 Kasper Lippert ]Rasmussen 2 The Methodology of Applied Philosophy 18 David Archard 3 The Value of Applied Philosophy 34 Suzanne Uniacke Part II Epistemology 49 4 Applied Epistemology 51 David Coady 5 Gender and Feminist Epistemology 61 Nancy Daukas 6 The Epistemology of Deliberative Democracy 76 Fabienne Peter 7 Information Markets 89 Kristoffer Ahlstrom ]Vij 8 Epistemology for (Real) People 103 Michael Bishop and J.D. Trout 9 Are Conspiracy Theorists Epistemically Vicious? 120 Charles R. Pigden 10 Experts in the Climate Change Debate 133 Ben Almassi 11 Freedom of Expression, Diversity, and Truth 147 Klemens Kappel, Bjorn Hallsson, and Emil F.L. Moller Part III Metaphysics and Philosophy of Language 163 12 Applied Metaphysics 165 Katherine Hawley 13 Applied Philosophy of Language 180 Emma Borg 14 Social Ontology and War 196 Seumas Miller 15 The Metaphysics of Gender 211 Natalie Stoljar 16 The Existence of the Dead 224 Steven Luper 17 Freedom of Expression and Derogatory Words 236 Caroline West Part IV Ethics 253 18 Applied Moral Philosophy 255 Richard Arneson 19 Neuroethics and Responsibility 270 Neil Levy 20 Non ]ideal Theory 284 Zofia Stemplowska 21 Death: Badness and Prudential Reasons 297 Jens Johansson Part V Political Philosophy and Philosophy of Law 311 22 Applied Political and Legal Philosophy 313 Michelle Madden Dempsey and Matthew Lister 23 Legal Human Rights Theory 328 Samantha Besson 24 Collectivism and Reductivism in the Ethics of War 342 Helen Frowe 25 Freedom of Association 356 Kimberley Brownlee 26 Neuroethics and Criminal Justice 370 Jesper Ryberg and Thomas Sobirk Petersen 27 Deliberative Democracy 383 Thomas Christiano and Sameer Bajaj 28 Tax Ethics: Political and Individual 397 Geoffrey Brennan and George Tsai 29 Benefiting from Wrongdoing 411 Avia Pasternak 30 Freedom of Religion and Expression 424 Larry Alexander Part VI Philosophy of Science 439 31 Applied Philosophy of Social Science: The Case of the Social Construction of Race 441 Isaac Wiegman and Ron Mallon 32 Social Constructivism in Social Science and Science Wars 455 Finn Collin 33 Did Climate Change Cause That? 469 Richard Corry Part VII Aesthetics 485 34 Applied Aesthetics 487 David Davies 35 Thought Experiments in Aesthetics 501 Paisley Livingston and Mikael Pettersson 36 Aesthetic Value, Artistic Value, and Morality 514 Andrea Sauchelli 37 The Applied Philosophy of Humor 527 Noel Carroll Part VIII Philosophy of Religion 539 38 Applied Philosophy of Religion 541 C.A.J. Coady 39 Thinking about Reported Miracles 555 Timothy Mcgrew 40 Religion and Neuroscience 567 Monima Chadha Part IX History of Applied Philosophy 583 41 Ancient Applied Philosophy 585 Chris Megone 42 Modern Applied Philosophy: Kant on Theory and Practice 599 Allen Wood Index 612.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118869130 20170418
- Publisher's Summary
- Applied philosophy has been a growing area of research for the last 40 years. Until now, however, almost all of this research has been centered around the field of ethics. A Companion to Applied Philosophy breaks new ground, demonstrating that all areasof philosophy, including epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of science, and philosophy of mind, can be applied, and are relevant to questions of everyday life. This perennial topic in philosophy provides an overview of these various applied philosophy developments, highlighting similarities and differences between various areas of applied philosophy, and examining the very nature of this topic. It is an area to which many of the towering figures in the history of philosophy have contributed, and this timely Companion demonstrates how various historical contributions are actually contributions within applied philosophy, even if they are not traditionally seen as such. The Companion contains 42 essays covering major areas of philosophy; the articles themselves are all original contributions to the literature and represent the state of the art on this topic, as well as offering a map to the current debates.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118869130 20170418
- Publication date
- Blackwell companions to philosophy
- 9781118869130 hardback
- 1118869133 hardback
- 9781118869123 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: