The law of international lawyers : reading Martti Koskenniemi
- [edited by] Wouter Werner, Marieke de Hoon, Alexis Galán.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 428 pages ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: The law of international lawyers / Wouter Werner, Marieke de Hoon, Alexis Galán
- What moves law? : Martti Koskenniemi and transcendence in international law / Gregor Noll
- Formalism, realism and the politics of indeterminacy / David Dyzenhaus
- Settling disputes : a matter of politics and law / Nigel D. White
- Form meets function : the culture of formalism and international environmental regimes / Jaye Ellis
- Martti Koskenniemi on human rights : an empirical perspective / Eric A. Posner
- The rule of law in an agnostic world : the prohibition on the use of force and humanitarian exceptions / Jutta Brunnée and Stephen J. Toope
- The space between us : law, technology and the new orientalism of counterdisciplinarity / Nikolas M. Rajkovic
- The critic(-al subject) / Sahib Singh
- Practising law : spoudaios, professional, expert or 'macher'? : reflections on the changing nature of occupation / Friedrich Kratochwil
- Thinking about what international humanitarian lawyers 'do' : an examination of the laws of war as a field of professional practice / Frédéric Mégret
- International law and the limits of history / Anne Orford
- Even the dead will not be safe : international law and the struggle over tradition / Andrew Lang and Susan Marks
- Martti Koskenniemi and the historiography of international law in the age of the war on terror / Samuel Moyn
- Martti Koskenniemi's critique of Eurocentrism in international law / Liliana Obregón
- Epilogue: To enable and enchant : on the power of law / Martti Koskenniemi.
For decades, Martti Koskenniemi has not just been an influential writer in international law; his work has caused a significant shift in the direction of the field. This book engages with some of the core questions that have animated Koskenniemi's scholarship so far. Its chapters attest to the breadth and depth of Koskenniemi's oeuvre and the different ways in which he has explored these questions. Koskenniemi's work is applied to a wide range of functional areas in international law and discussed in relation to an even broader range of theoretical perspectives, including history, political theory, sociology and international relations theory. These invaluable insights have been expertly brought together by the volume editors, who identify the key and common themes of many of the book's contributions. This volume demonstrates the importance of critical legal scholarship in the ways international law is enacted, shaped and reshaped over time.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Reading Martti Koskenniemi
- "[The author's] had a...meeting in Amsterdam, 'Koskenniemi and his critics : reflections on the past and future of international law' (10-12 April 2014)"--Page xiv.
- 9781107193185 hardback
- 1107193184 hardback
Browse related items
Start at call number: