Isola di Malta, olim Melita : descritta, e dedicata Dal P. Coronelli cosmografo della Serenissima Republica di Venetia all'illustrissimo et eccellentissimo Signore Giorgio Corner
- Vincenzo Maria Coronelli.
- Venice : V. M. Coronelli, 1689.
- Physical description
- 1 map : hand colored; 60.5 x 45 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G6791 .I8 1689 .C7||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
Images from Glen McLaughlin's collection of maps of Malta. Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the Order of St. John, an order already in existence at the time of the First Crusade in 1099. The collection includes 13 maps of the islands dating from from 1565 to 1724., Images from Glen McLaughlin's collection of maps of Malta. Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the Order of St. John, an order already in existence at the time of the First Crusade in 1099. The collection includes 13 maps of the islands dating from from 1565 to 1724.
- Digital collection
- 13 digital items
- Publication date
- Map Data
- Scale 1:85,000 (E 14°10'48"--E 14°34'35"/N 36°05'07"--N 35°47'58").
- Relief shown by hashures and pictorially.
- Coordinates approximate and based on Greenwich meridian.
- The map of the island is surrounded by an elaborate border made up of the coats of arms of the Grand Masters of the Order of Malta.
- Decorative cartouche.
- Shows topography, cities and towns.
- Maltese archipelago with topography and fortifications. Dedicated to Giorgio Corner. Engravings of 62 coats-of-arms of Grand Masters, from Gerard, the founder, in 1099 to Gregoire Caraffa (1680-1690) in 1680, the 61st Grand Master and 19th in Malta, surrounding the map clockwise from lower center. What Coronelli lacks in cartographical draughtsmanship, he makes up for in decorative historical information. From the atlas Atlante Veneto. Venice 1690-96.
- Mason and Willis 60. LDOSJ: 1313 Tonna-Barthet pp. 1-5, pp. 205-208
Browse related items
Start at call number: