Living a feminist life
- Sara Ahmed.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 299 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- FEMGEN-299-01 -- Graduate Workshop: Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Freedman, Estelle
At the library
- Ahmed, Sara, 1969- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Feminism is sensational
- On being directed
- Willfulness and feminist subjectivity
- Trying to transform
- Being in question
- Brick walls
- Fragile connections
- Feminist snap
- Lesbian feminism
- Conclusion 1 : a killjoy survival kit
- Conclusion 2 : a killjoy manifesto.
In Living a Feminist Life Sara Ahmed shows how feminist theory is generated from everyday life and the ordinary experiences of being a feminist at home and at work. Building on legacies of feminist of color scholarship in particular, Ahmed offers a poetic and personal meditation on how feminists become estranged from worlds they critique-often by naming and calling attention to problems-and how feminists learn about worlds from their efforts to transform them. Ahmed also provides her most sustained commentary on the figure of the feminist killjoy introduced in her earlier work while showing how feminists create inventive solutions-such as forming support systems-to survive the shattering experiences of facing the walls of racism and sexism. The killjoy survival kit and killjoy manifesto, with which the book concludes, supply practical tools for how to live a feminist life, thereby strengthening the ties between the inventive creation of feminist theory and living a life that sustains it.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780822363040 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 0822363046 hardcover ; alkaline paper
- 9780822363194 paperback ; alkaline paper
- 0822363194 paperback ; alkaline paper
Browse related items
Start at call number: