Calculus : with CalcChat and CalcView
- Ron Larson (The Pennsylvania State University, The Behrend College), Bruce Edwards (University of Florida).
- Eleventh edition, student edition.
- Boston, MA : Cengage Learning, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 volume (various pagings) : color illustrations ; 29 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA303.2 .L367 2018||Unknown|
- P. PREPARATION FOR CALCULUS. Graphs and Models. Linear Models and Rates of Change. Functions and Their Graphs. Review of Trigonometric Functions. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 1. LIMITS AND THEIR PROPERTIES. A Preview of Calculus. Finding Limits Graphically and Numerically. Evaluating Limits Analytically. Continuity and One-Sided Limits. Infinite Limits. Section Project: Graphs and Limits of Trigonometric Functions. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 2. DIFFERENTIATION. The Derivative and the Tangent Line Problem. Basic Differentiation Rules and Rates of Change. Product and Quotient Rules and Higher-Order Derivatives. The Chain Rule. Implicit Differentiation. Section Project: Optical Illusions. Related Rates. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 3. APPLICATIONS OF DIFFERENTIATION. Extrema on an Interval. Rolle"s Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem. Increasing and Decreasing Functions and the First Derivative Test. Section Project: Even Fourth-Degree Polynomials. Concavity and the Second Derivative Test. Limits at Infinity. A Summary of Curve Sketching. Optimization Problems. Section Project: Minimum Time. Newton"s Method. Differentials. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 4. INTEGRATION. Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integration. Area. Riemann Sums and Definite Integrals. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Section Project: Demonstrating the Fundamental Theorem. Integration by Substitution. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 5. LOGARITHMIC, EXPONENTIAL, AND OTHER TRANSCENDENTAL FUNCTIONS. The Natural Logarithmic Function: Differentiation. The Natural Logarithmic Function: Integration. Inverse Functions. Exponential Functions: Differentiation and Integration. Bases Other than e and Applications. Section Project: Using Graphing Utilities to Estimate Slope. Indeterminate Forms and L'Hopital's Rule. Inverse Trigonometric Functions: Differentiation. Inverse Trigonometric Functions: Integration. Hyperbolic Functions. Section Project: Mercator Map. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 6. DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS. Slope Fields and Euler"s Method. Growth and Decay. Separation of Variables and the Logistic Equation. First-Order Linear Differential Equations. Section Project: Weight Loss. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 7. APPLICATIONS OF INTEGRATION. Area of a Region Between Two Curves. Volume: The Disk Method. Volume: The Shell Method. Section Project: Saturn. Arc Length and Surfaces of Revolution. Work. Section Project: Pyramid of Khufu. Moments, Centers of Mass, and Centroids. Fluid Pressure and Fluid Force. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 8. INTEGRATION TECHNIQUES AND IMPROPER INTEGRALS. Basic Integration Rules. Integration by Parts. Trigonometric Integrals. Section Project: The Wallis Product. Trigonometric Substitution. Partial Fractions. Numerical Integration. Integration by Tables and Other Integration Techniques. Improper Integrals. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 9. INFINITE SERIES. Sequences. Series and Convergence. Section Project: Cantor"s Disappearing Table. The Integral Test and p-Series. Section Project: The Harmonic Series. Comparisons of Series. Alternating Series. The Ratio and Root Tests. Taylor Polynomials and Approximations. Power Series. Representation of Functions by Power Series. Taylor and Maclaurin Series. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 10. CONICS, PARAMETRIC EQUATIONS, AND POLAR COORDINATES. Conics and Calculus. Plane Curves and Parametric Equations. Section Project: Cycloids. Parametric Equations and Calculus. Polar Coordinates and Polar Graphs. Section Project: Cassini Oval. Area and Arc Length in Polar Coordinates. Polar Equations of Conics and Kepler"s Laws. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 11. VECTORS AND THE GEOMETRY OF SPACE. Vectors in the Plane. Space Coordinates and Vectors in Space. The Dot Product of Two Vectors. The Cross Product of Two Vectors in Space. Lines and Planes in Space. Section Project: Distances in Space. Surfaces in Space. Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 12. VECTOR-VALUED FUNCTIONS. Vector-Valued Functions. Section Project: Witch of Agnesi. Differentiation and Integration of Vector-Valued Functions. Velocity and Acceleration. Tangent Vectors and Normal Vectors. Arc Length and Curvature. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 13. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES. Introduction to Functions of Several Variables. Limits and Continuity. Partial Derivatives. Differentials. Chain Rules for Functions of Several Variables. Directional Derivatives and Gradients. Tangent Planes and Normal Lines. Section Project: Wildflowers. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Applications of Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Section Project: Building a Pipeline. Lagrange Multipliers. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 14. MULTIPLE INTEGRATION. Iterated Integrals and Area in the Plane. Double Integrals and Volume. Change of Variables: Polar Coordinates. Center of Mass and Moments of Inertia. Section Project: Center of Pressure on a Sail. Surface Area. Section Project: Surface Area in Polar Coordinates. Triple Integrals and Applications. Triple Integrals in Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates. Section Project: Wrinkled and Bumpy Spheres. Change of Variables: Jacobians. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. 15. VECTOR ANALYSIS. Vector Fields. Line Integrals. Conservative Vector Fields and Independence of Path. Green"s Theorem. Section Project: Hyperbolic and Trigonometric Functions. Parametric Surfaces. Surface Integrals. Section Project: Hyperboloid of One Sheet. Divergence Theorem. Stokes" Theorem. Review Exercises. Section Project: The Planimeter. P.S. Problem Solving. 16. SECOND ORDER DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS* ONLINE. Exact First-Order Equations. Second-Order Homogeneous Linear Equations. Second-Order Nonhomogeneous Linear Equations. Section Project: Parachute Jump. Series Solutions of Differential Equations. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving. APPENDIX. A. Proofs of Selected Theorems. B. Integration Tables. C. Precalculus Review (Web). C.1. Real Numbers and the Real Number Line. C.2. The Cartesian Plane. D. Rotation and the General Second-Degree Equation (Web). E. Complex Numbers (Web). F. Business and Economic Applications (Web). G. Fitting Models to Data (Web).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781337275347 20170403
- Publisher's Summary
- With a long history of innovation in the market, Larson/Edwards' CALCULUS has been widely praised by a generation of students and professors for solid and effective pedagogy that addresses the needs of a broad range of teaching and learning styles and environments. Each title in the series is one component in a comprehensive calculus course program that carefully integrates and coordinates print, media, and technology products for successful teaching and learning. This new edition is now supported by WebAssign, the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning math.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781337275347 20170403
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Includes indexes.
- 9781337275347 (student edition)
- 1337275344 (student edition)
- 9781337275576 (loose-leaf edition)
Browse related items
Start at call number: