Das Bedford Stundenbuch = The Bedford hours
- Uniform Title
- Book of hours (Ms. Bedford Hours)
- Latin, French, German, English. Ms. text primarily in Latin, with 2 prayers in French; colophon in German and English; accompanying commentary in German.
- [Lucerne, Switzerland] : Faksimile Verlag Luzern, ©2006.
- Physical description
- 289 leaves (i.e.  pages) : color illustrations ; 28 cm + 1 commentary (244,  pages : illustrations (some color), facsimiles ; 28 cm)
At the library
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|(no call number)||In process|
- Commentary Includes bibliographical references (pages 243-245).
- "A book of hours is a collection of Christian prayers for recitation at different times, 'hours', of the day. Intended for individual use at home, they were simplified versions of the eight periods of daily prayer observed by monks and nuns, from matins in the morning to compline at night ... The 'Bedford book of hours' is an outstanding work of late medieval manuscript art. It was [i.e. some pages were] produced for the wedding of John, Duke of Bedford, to Anne of Burgundy on 13 May 1423. Portraits of the bride and groom, dressed in their elegant court clothes, appear in its pages"--British Library.
- Included Work
- König, Eberhard, 1947- Stundenbuch des Herzogs von Bedford.
- Bedford hours > Facsimiles.
- Bedford hours > Illustrations.
- Bedford hours.
- Catholic Church. Book of hours (Manuscript Bedford Hours) > Illustrations.
- Catholic Church. Book of hours (Manuscript Bedford Hours)
- Bedford Master, active 1415-1430.
- Bedford, John Plantagenet, Duke of, 1389-1435 > Art patronage.
- Anne, of Burgundy, Duchess of Bedford, 1404?-1432 > Art patronage.
- Catholic Church > Prayers and devotions > Latin.
- Catholic Church > Liturgy > Texts > Illustrations.
- Catholic Church > Liturgy > Texts.
- British Library.
- Bedford-Stundenbuch 2
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, French > France > Paris > 15th century.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval > France > Paris.
- Books of hours > France > Paris > Illustrations.
- Books of hours > France > Paris > Texts.
- Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern) > England > London > Facsimiles.
- Manuscripts, Medieval > England > London > Facsimiles.
- Christian art and symbolism > France > Paris > Medieval, 500-1500.
- Illuminated manuscript artists > Bedford Master, fl. 1415-1430.
- Books of hours.
- Illustrated works > Switzerland > Lucerne > 21st century.
- Facsmiles (Publishing) > Switzerland > Lucerne > 21st century.
- Velvet bindings (Binding) > Austria > Schärding > 21st century.
- Metal clasps (Binding) > Austria > Schärding > 21st century.
- Raised bands (Binding) > Austria > Schärding > 21st century.
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- Title Variation
- Bedford hours
- Full-color facsimile of the Bedford hours, a book of hours following the use of Paris, written and illuminated in Paris in several stages between ca. 1410-1415 and ca. 1430. Its illuminations are partly the work of the Bedford Master, with contributions from other workshops. Ms. was commissioned for an unknown patron (possibly Louis de Guyenne, dauphin de France, d. 1415), later coming into the possession of John of Lancaster and Anne of Burgundy, Duke and Duchess of Bedford. Original manuscript currently preserved in the British Library as ms. Add. 18850.
- Title from colophon of facsimile v.
- Ed. of 980 copies numbered in Arabic numerals, with another 80 copies reserved for archival purposes and assigned Roman numerals.
- Facsimile and accompanying commentary issued in a plexiglass case (30 x 23 x 13 cm.).
- Accompanying commentary has title: Das Stundenbuch des Herzogs von Bedford : MS Add. 18850, The British Library, London : Kommentar zur Faksimile-Ausgabe / Eberhard König ; mit einem Beitrag von Jenny Stratford.
- Spine title of commentary volume: Das Bedford Stundenbuch.
- Included Work
- Stundenbuch des Herzogs von Bedford.
- 9783856721046 (Faksimile)
- 3856721045 (Faksimile)
- 9783856721053 (Kommentarband à part)
- 3856721053 (Kommentarband à part)