- Julie Chen ; with illustrations by Keri Miki-Lani Schroeder.
- [Berkeley, California] : Flying Fish Press, 2016.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 volume (unpaged) : illustrations ; 38 x 9 cm
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|Z239 .F54 B58 2016 FF||In-library use|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1. Unsweetened
- 2. Untempered.
- Narrative about a fictional goddess of chocolate, "Cacao Woman, " a character loosely adapted from the Popul Vuh, the Mayan Book of Council. It is interspersed with historical and contemporary facts about chocolate production and consumption, as well as vignettes from the author's personal history with chocolate.
- Chocolate > Fiction.
- Goddesses > Fiction.
- Chen, Julie.
- Autobiographical memory in art.
- Artists' books > Specimens.
- Artists' books > California > Berkeley > Specimens.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- "Bitter Chocolate was written and designed by Julie Chen. Illustrations of the cacao forest and cacao pods were created by Keri Miki-Lani Schroeder. All other images were created by Julie Chen. All elements were letterpress printed from photopolymer plates on a variety of papers including Old Masters handmade paper from Papeterie Saint-Armand in Montréal, Zanders Elephant Hide and Hahnemühle Ingres."--Colophon.
- Commissioned for inclusion in "Just one look, " an exhibition of contemporary book arts held in the Special Collections Division of the University of Washington Libraries from March 31-July 29, 2016.
- Limited edition of 50 copies, signed and numbered.
- "The Jacob’s ladder structure allows for four distinct presentations of content. The book is first unfolded into accordion format, presenting the reader with visual and written content on each side. Then the page panels can be flipped over within the hinge straps that connect them revealing the second half of the content. The full meaning and impact of the story is only revealed when all four parts of the content are discovered and read"--Artist's website, viewed November 30, 2016.
- Book is bound in Jacob's Ladder format and enclosed in a cloth-covered, four-flap case with magnetic closures. Title label on top of case. Title, colophon, and "forward" printed letterpress on three sheets mounted inside case.
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 1: No. 21 of 50, signed by the artist.
Browse related items
Start at call number: