Cuando México se (re)apropia de Texas : ensayos
- Carmen Boullosa ; traducción al inglés de Nicolás Kanellos = When Mexico recaptures Texas : essays / Carmen Boullosa ; translated by Nicolás Kanellos.
- English, Spanish. Spanish text followed by English text.
- Houston, Texas : Arte Público Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Secuestros = Kidnapping
- Linchamientos y mexicanos = Lynching and Mexicans
- Violencias = Types of violence
- El oro blanco de Tamaulipas = The white gold in Tamaulipas
- Se vende un gallego, se matan mexicanos = Sell the Galicians, kill the Mexicans
- La manca de Juárez = The one-armed woman of Juarez
- Evas texanas = Texan Eves
- Wall Street, la estrella cercana de Bettina = Wall Street, the star nearby Bettina
- Cuando Texas se (re)apropia de México (that is, Cuando México se (re)apropia de Texas) = When Mexico recaptures Texas
- El sueño mexicano = The Mexican dream
- El motín de los chamacos de Arizona = A children's riot in Arizona
- Cabellos comanches de Arizona = Comanche hairs
- El francés que defendío México = The Frenchman who defended Mexico
- Sueńos de chicle = Dreams of gum
- Lágrimas y combate = Tears and combat
- Curación a balazos = Healing with bullet wounds
- Espuelas y guayaberas = Spurs and guayaberas
- Glorias (y penas) nacionales = National glories (and pain)
- Dos para un duelo = Two for a duel
- Cuatro poetas solteros guadalupanos = Four bachelor poets devoted to the Virgin of Guadalupe
- Bolívar y Sor Juana, tal vez = Bolívar and Sor Juana, perhaps
- Mary Cassatt y Edgar Degas = Mary Cassatt and Edgar Degas
- La batalla de las vírgenes (la Guadalupana contra Remedios) = The battle of the virgins : Guadalupe versus Remedios
- La pintora y el fotógrafo = The painter and the photographer
- Papeles quemados = Burnt papers
- Tortillas envenenadas y barcos insurgentes = Poisoned tortillas and rebel ships
- La cangrejo sufragista y su Virginia = The suffragette crab and her Virginia
- La amante más dulce = The sweetest lover
- La autora de la Odisea, y las olvidadas = The female author of the Odyssey, and the other forgotten ones.
- Residents on both sides of the Rio Grande, or the Rio Bravo as it's known in Mexico, have suffered horrific violence as numerous peoples have sought control of the land. In 1836, in what is now Texas, a young girl named Cynthia Ann Parker was kidnapped by Comanches who behaved "like vengeful drug dealers, " spearing, scalping and castrating their victims. Spared death, she was adopted by the tribe, only to be "saved" twenty years later by the Texas Rangers. Today, kidnappings continue in Mexico. In this wide-ranging collection of 29 essays, internationally renowned Mexican novelist and essayist Carmen Boullosa explores issues that unite and separate Americans and Mexicans, from the nineteenth century to the present. Themes of greed and barbarism abound. There's Dimaso Salazar, a Mexican captain who in 1841 strung the ears of fallen Texans on a necklace; Susana Chavez, a poet and activist brutally murdered after protesting the killings of women in Ciudad Juarez; and Edelmiro Cavazos, the mayor of the city of Santiago, who was executed during Mexico's ruthless drug wars. Violence is still common on both sides of the border. These thought-provoking essays delve into a variety of subjects, including Occupy Wall Street and Arizona's political offensive against immigrants. Long a feminist, Boullosa also shares her perspective on women's rights, musing on the repression of women artists and the lack of recognition for their work. Similarly, women who participated in wars and rebellions have been forgotten, and the author asserts that erasing them from our memory hurts us all. Containing the author's original Spanish and Nicolas Kanellos' English translation, these are absorbing reflections on Texas-Mexico border history, women's issues, art and literature.
- Included Work
- Contains: Boullosa, Carmen Cuando México se (re)apropia de Texas. English.
- Contains: Boullosa, Carmen Cuando México se (re)apropia de Texas.
- Boullosa, Carmen. Essays. Selections. English.
- Boullosa, Carmen Essays. Selections.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- When Mexico recaptures Texas
- Cuando México se reapropia de Texas
- 9781518500640 (eBook)
- 1518500641 (eBook)
- 9781518500657 (eBook)
- 151850065X (eBook)
- 9781558858060 (paperback)
- 1558858067 (paperback)