Foundations of managing sporting events : organizing the 1966 FIFA World Cup
- by Kevin D. Tennent and Alex G. Gillett.
- New York : Routledge is an imprint of the Taylor & Francis Group, an Informa Business, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 193 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Routledge international studies in business history ; 33.
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|GV943.5 1966 .T46 2017||In-library use|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. What, Why, and How?
- 2. Origins and Background: A Brief History of English Football and the FIFA World Cup
- 3. Political Capital and International Diplomacy: North Korea and Beyond
- 4. The FA, FIFA, and the
- 1966 FIFA World Cup
- 5. The World Cup as a Temporary Show?
- 6. The World Cup, Minister?
- 7. The World Cup and the Provinces: A Tourism Boom that Never Came
- 8. Legacy and Impact of the Tournament
- 9. Discussion and Conclusions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
2016 marks the 50th anniversary of the 1966 FIFA World Cup, hosted in England. Unlike previous literature, which has tended to focus activities on the field, this book brings an institutional level approach to organizing the 1966 FIFA World Cup and examines the management process in the buildup and execution of the event. This intriguing new volume looks at the first significant UK government intervention in football and how this created a significant legacy as the government started to take a real interest in leisure facilities and stadium safety as policy areas after this competition. Foundations of Managing Sporting Events will be of considerable interest to research academics working on aspects of post war British, Imperial, and World history including sport, social, business, economic, and political history.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge International Studies in Business History ; 33
- Gift of Dr. Alex Gillett, 2016.
- 9781138645202 (hardback ; alk. paper)
- 1138645206 (hardback ; alk. paper)
- 9781315628295 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: