The sources of Fr. Augustine Baker's Sancta Sophia
- John Clark.
- Salzburg : FB Anglistik und Amerikanistik, Universität Salzburg, 2016.
- Physical description
- 2 volumes (xx, 350 pages) ; 24 cm.
- Analecta Cartusiana 119:43.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1. The Sources of Fr. Augustine Baker's Sancta Sophia / John Clark
- Holy Wisdom : or, Directions for the prayer of contemplation : extracted out of more than forty treatises / by the ven. Father F. Augustin Baker
- The first treatise. Of an internal life in general
- The second treatise. Of the first instrument of perfection, viz., mortification
- 2. The third treatise. Of prayer.
- Included Work
- Baker, Augustine, 1575-1641. Sancta Sophia. Selections.
- Publication date
- Analecta Cartusiana, 0253-1593 ; 119:43
- Clark's contribution is an introduction and end notes to each treatise of the work by Baker, which itself constitutes the bulk of the two volumes. The included text of Holy Wisdom (Sancta Sophia) reprints the edition edited by Abbot Norbert Sweeney (London, 1876), which is a faithful reproduction with modernised spelling of the edition edited by Fr. Serenus Cressy (Douai, 1657). The reprint omits the devotional material appended to the Cressy and Sweeney editions, and a letter of Cressy's prefixed to the Third Treatise in the Cressy edition.
- 9783902895929 (v. 1 :) (paperback)
- 3902895926 (v. 1 :) (paperback)
- 9783902895969 v. 2 : (paperback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: