Beyond mosque, church, and state : alternative narratives of the nation in the Balkans
- edited by Theodora Dragostinova and Yana Hashamova.
- Budapest ; New York : Central European University Press, 2016.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 321 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I. Historical dilemmas
- Emergence and historical development of Muslim communities in the Ottoman Balkans : historical and historiographical remarks / Nikolay Antov
- From exorcism to historicism : the legacy of empire and the pains of nation-making in the Balkans / Ipek K. Yosmaoğlu
- Patriotic publics : rethinking empire, nationality, and the popular press in Ottoman and Habsburg Bosnia / Edin Hajdarpasic
- In search of the Bulgarians : mapping the nation through national classifications / Theodora Dragostinova
- Faith and nation : politicians, intellectuals, and the official recognition of a Muslim nation in Tito's Yugoslavia / Brenna Miller
- The feeble charm of national(ist) communism : intellectuals and cultural politics in Zhizhkov's Bulgaria / Irina Gigova
- Part II. Contemporary debates
- E mos shikjoni kish e xhamija (and look not to church and mosque) : how Albania and Macedonia illuminate Bosnia and Bulgaria / Victor A. Friedman
- Women between state and mosque : compliance or agency? / Yana Hashamova
- (Post?)national portraits from the postsocialist soundstage : three Bulgarian folkloric productions of the 2000s / Donna A. Buchanan
- Who brought Ataka to the political scene? : analysis of the vote for Bulgaria's radical nationalists / Maria Popova
- Local governance in Bosnia : addressing ethno-nationally and locally defined interests? / Paula M. Pickering.
The book provides a textbook for upper level undergraduate and graduate courses on the Balkans, nationalism, state-building, and identity in a comparative European perspective.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Nationalism > Balkan Peninsula > History.
- Nation-building > Balkan Peninsula > History.
- Ethnicity > Political aspects > Balkan Peninsula > History.
- Identification (Religion) > Political aspects > Balkan Peninsula > History.
- Ethnic conflict > Balkan Peninsula > History.
- Human rights > Balkan Peninsula > History.
- Balkan Peninsula > Ethnic relations > Political aspects > History.
- Bulgaria > Ethnic relations > Political aspects > History.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina > Ethnic relations > Political aspects > History.
- Macedonia > Ethnic relations > Political aspects > History.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9789633861332 (hardbound ; alkaline paper)
- 9633861330 (hardbound ; alkaline paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: