Love, reason, and morality
- edited by Esther Engels Kroeker and Katrien Schaubroeck.
- New York : Routledge, 2017.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxv, 188 pages ; 24 cm.
- Routledge studies in contemporary philosophy ; 86.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: An Overview of the Contemporary Debate on Love, Reason and Morality Esther Kroeker and Katrien Schaubroeck
- 1. Love: The Vision View Troy Jollimore
- 2. Holding on to Reasons of the Heart: Cognitive Degeneration and the Capacity to Love Andrew Franklin-Hall and Agnieszka Jaworska
- 3. Attachment, Autonomy and the Evaluative Variety of Love Edward Harcourt
- 4. Love's Objects Sam Shpall
- 5. The Rational Significance of Intimate Relationships Diane Jeske
- 6. Love's second-personal character: reciprocal holding, beholding, and upholding Stephen Darwall
- 7. Intimate Relations: Friends and Lovers Dirk Baltzly and Jeanette Kennett
- 8. What's Love Got To Do With It? Morality and Personal Relationships Brook Sadler
- 9. The What and Why of Love's Reasons Michael Smith
- 10. Love and Reasons: The Many Relationships Thomas Hurka.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book brings together new essays that explore the connection between love and reasons. The observation that considerations of love carry significant weight in the deliberative process opens up new perspectives in the classic discussion about practical reasons, and gives rise to many interesting questions about the nature of love's reasons, about their source and legitimacy, about their relation to moral and epistemic reasons, and about the extent to which love is sensitive to reasons. The contributors to this volume orient questions related to love within the broader context of the contemporary discussion on practical reasons, and move forward the conversation about the normative dimensions of love. Love, Reason and Morality will be of interest to philosophers working on issues of normativity, meta-ethics and moral psychology, and especially those interested in the source of practical reasons and the role of attachments in practical deliberation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge studies in contemporary philosophy ; 86
- 9781138941717 (hbk ; alk. paper)
- 1138941719 (hbk ; alk. paper)
- 9781315673561 (ebk)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: