Assessing student learning in general education : good practice case studies
- Marilee J. Bresciani, editor.
- Bolton, Mass. : Anker Pub. Co., ©2007.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 251 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Bresciani, Marilee J.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The challenges of assessing general education : questions to consider / Marilee J. Bresciani
- Alverno college : general education case study / Mary E. Diez, Robert O'Brien Hokanson, Marcia Mentkowski
- Blinn College : general education case study / Loraine Phillips, Leslie Janac
- Coker College : general education case study / David Eubanks
- James Madison University : general education case study / Donna L. Sundre, Linda Cabe Halpern
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis : general education case study / Trudy W. Banta, Sharon J. Hamilton
- Isothermal Community College : general education case study / Nancy H. Womack
- North Carolina State University : general education case study / Allen P. Dupont
- Paradise Valley Community College : general education case study / Paul A. Dale
- State University of New York system administration : general education case study / Patricia L. Francis, Anne E. Huot
- The College of William and Mary : general education case study / Susan L. Bosworth
- University of Central Florida : general education case study / Martha Marinara, Kristina Tollefson
- University of Cincinnati : general education case study / Janice Denton, Wayne Hall, Claudia Skutar
- University of South Florida : general education case study / Teresa L. Flateby
- A summary of good practice strategies for assessing general education / Marilee J. Bresciani.
Many resources on implementing general education are available, but few are written to help those faculty and administrators responsible for general education with its evaluation. This book is a compilation of good practice casestudies that are intended to assist faculty and administrators in both two-year and four-year institutions with the evaluation of student learning as it relates to general education. There are several ways in which to evaluate general education, and each case study varies in its approach. How do differences in institutional culture affect the evaluation of general education? Are institutions that lack the capacity or the culture to work across departmentalor division lines to identify learning outcomes or the criteria to evaluate those outcomes employing effecting outcomes-based assessment? While not a how-to book on engaging in general education assessment, this book provides the reader with ideas to consider when adapting the evaluation of general education to his or her own institutional culture. Thirteen good practice institutions outline their assessment strategies and illustrate self-reflection that contributes to improved integration of and quality in student learning and development within general education. The case studies are supplemented by an introductory chapter that presents some considerations to address when planning for general education assessment and a concluding chapter that summarizes good practice strategies for application.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: