- chejak, Hwang Ki-sŏng ; kakpon, kamdok, Chang Sŏn-u.
- 성공 시대 / 제작, 황 기성 ; 각본, 감독, 장 선우.
- Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, French, Arabic. In Korean with Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, French or Arabic subtitles.
- video file; DVD video; all regions.
- [Seoul] : Korean Film Archive, 2015.
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (112 minutes) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in. +.
- Modernization on screen : understanding Korean society and modernization through films
A fine, windy day: "Deok-bae, Chun-sik, and Gil-nam, who left their hometown for Seoul, lead their lives and comfort each other working at a Chinese restaurant, a motel, and a barbershop located in a development area on the outskirts of Seoul. The native local residents are excelled from their fields and paddies. Gil-nam falls for Jin-ok, a hairdresser, and Chun-sik for Miss Yu, an assistant to a barber. Meanwhile, Naive Deok-bae is hesitant between Chun-sun, a chearful and even dashing girl coming from the rural area and Chun-sik's sister, and Myeong-hui, an ill-tempered but attractive girl from the upperclass. Deok-bae finds out that he was fooled by Myeong-hui whom Deok-bae believed to have a certain feeling mutually, and Jin-ok runs away with the money she held in trust for Gil-nam. Miss Yu has some feeling for Chun-sil, but becomes a secret lover of President Kim to cover her father's medical fees and the tuition for her brothers and sisters. Chun-sik ends up being in jail for slashing President Kim with a razor, Gil-nam goes to serve in the military, and Deok-bae makes up his mind to fight off the world as a boxer."--Container.
- "Modernization has been an important subject for Korea in the last century. Modernization was exchangeable with economic development and industrialization, and people took part on the road to achieve the so-called "Miracle on the Han River." Consequently, Korea was accredited as one of the rare countries that accomplished rapid economic growth. The shadow, however, was cast deeply along with the fast track of the development, and Korean society is now facing all problems great and small. It is meaningful to look back at the process of Korean modernization and to view various aspects of the modern represented in the films. These endeavors bring us beyond the mere appreciation of the past in a retrospective fashion and provide us a chance to make a rendezvous of the past with the present and that of the present with the past. The films selected from each period reveal the problems, values, and subconsciousness of the time, and they function as referential frameworks for each other, which bring you the joy of new discoveries."--Commentary book.
- Release date
- Production date
- Title Variation
- Title also in English on DVD surface and container: Age of success
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 1980.
- Planned by Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (MCST) of the Republic of Korea ; co-planned by Korean Film Archive.
- Production Credits
- Ch'waryŏng kamdok Yu Yŏng-gil ; chomyŏng Kim Chin-do ; ŭmak Yi Chong-gu ; nogŭm Kim Kyŏng-il.
- 촬영 유 영길 ; 조명 김 진도 ; 음악 이 종구 ; 녹음 김 경일.
- Sŏng-gi, Yi Hye-yŏng, Ch'oe Pong.
- 안 성기, 이 혜영, 최 봉.
- DVD; region ALL ; NTSC; 1.85:1 anamorpic widescreen.
Browse related items
Start at call number: