Cartes et Tables de la Geographie Ancienne et Nouvelle ou Methode pour s'Instruire Avec facilite de la Geographie, et Connoistre des Empires, Monarchies, Royaumes, Estats, Republiques, et Peuples ... Par les Srs. Sanson, Geographes du Roy ... A Paris. Chez l'Autheur ... 1697. (Maps and Tables of Geography Ancient and Modern or Methods for Easy Instruction of the Geography and Understanding of Empires, Monarchies, Kingdoms, States, Republics, and Peoples ... By Srs. Sanson, Geographers to the King ... In Paris ... House of the Author ... 1697.)
- Paris : Cloistre de S Nicolas du Louvre, 1697.
- Physical description
- 1 atlas : 227 maps ; 47 x 36 cm.
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the David Rumsey Map Center.
|G1033 .S2 1697 VOL.1 F||In-library use|
|G1033 .S2 1697 VOL.2 F||In-library use|
|G1033 .S2 1697 VOL.3 F||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 75185 digital items
- Atlases > Early works to 1800.
- World maps > Early works to 1800.
- Geography, ancient > Maps > Early works to 1800.
- Classical geography > Maps > Early works to 1800.
- Historical geography > Maps > Early works to 1800.
- Manuscript maps > Early works to 1800.
- Eastern Hemisphere > Maps > 19th century.
- World atlases.
- World maps.
- Manuscript maps.
- Early maps.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Classical Atlas.
- This is a very rare edition of Sanson's maps, published by his son, Guillaume Sanson. The title page is dated 1697 but the latest date on a map in the atlas is 1709. In French and Latin. Three volume set. Volume I is a huge set of hierarchies presenting the relative arrangement of thousands of places. Each page has from four to six levels of places, for example ranging from a country level down through states and counties on down to cities and towns. In cataloging, for the title of each page,we just list the first highest level place on the page. In the Short Title, liberty as been taken to explain the subjects of the page in English in more detail. Relief shown by sketches. Outline color. Leather-covered boards, with leather spine with gilt decoration and text, "Carte de Sanson, Tom I".
- World Atlas.
- Pub list no.: 9741.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: