Atlas selectus von allen Konigreichen und Landern der Welt : zum bequemen Gebrauch in Schulen, auf Reisen und bey dem Lesen der Zeitungen. Verfertiget und in Kupffer gestochen von Johann George Schreibern in Leipzig
- Leipzig : Johann George Schreibern, Johann George Schreibern, 1740.
- Physical description
- 1 atlas : 148 maps ; 22 x 31 cm.
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|G1046.F1 S37 1740 VOL.2 F||In-library use|
|G1046.F1 S37 1740 VOL.1 F||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 75771 digital items
- Schreiber, Johann George, 1676-1750.
- Atlases > Early works to 1800.
- World maps > Early works to 1800.
- Political geography > Maps > Early works to 1800.
- Boundaries > Maps > Early works to 1800.
- Education > Maps > Early works to 1800.
- Tourist maps > Maps > Early works to 1800.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Atlas of kingdoms and countries around the world, to convenient use in schools, on trips and the reader of newspapers, prepared and engraved by Johann Georg Schreiber,1676-1750 - first cartographer in Saxony, was born 1676 and lived in Leipzig. His only work was the "Atlas Selectus" published first 1740 and reissued 1749. He died in 1745. Atlas published in 2 volumes, 149 pages, vol. 1: pages 1-76, vol 2: pages 77-149, including hand colored engraved pictorial title page, distance table with map of Germany, 2 pages of index and 148 hand colored copper engraved maps including a double hemisphere world, the continents, 26 maps of European countries, regional maps of Germany, the Russian Empire, the Black Sea and the Holy Land. The map of the Americas features the island of California. The maps on sheets 21x29, include a text panel describing the region, showing political and administrative divisions, cities, towns and villages, rivers, lakes, forests, churches, landmarks, roads, distances and canals. Include decorative cartouche and compass rose. Relief shown pictorially. Bound in brown leather cover with "Schreibers Atlas" on spine in gilt.
- World Atlas.
- Pub list no.: 11208.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: