The role of legal advisers in international law
- edited by Andraž Zidar, Jean-Pierre Gauci.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill Nijhoff, 
- Physical description
- xviii, 390 pages ; 25 cm
- Zidar, Andraž, editor.
- Gauci, Jean-Pierre, editor.
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- About BIICL-- Preface by Dame Rosalyn Higgins-- Authors' Biographies-- 1 Zidar and Gauci Introduction: Legal Advisers as the Visible College of International Lawyers Part 1: United Kingdom 2 Anderson: The Functions of the Legal Adviser: Advising, Negotiating, Litigating 3 Macleod: The FCO's Legal Advisers and Contemporary Challenges 4 Gladstone: The Legal Adviser and International Disputes: Preparing to Commence or Defend Litigation or Arbitration Part 2: Comparative perspectives 5 Wood: Legal Advisers 6 Kingston: Organisation and Context for the Work of the Legal Adviser: The Legal Division of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Ireland 7 Gutierrez Ruiz: The Experience of Legal Advisers in Costa Rica: A Case for Peaceful International Law 8 McCosker: The Intersecting Professions of the International Law Adviser and Diplomat in a Rising Asia: Australia, India and Malaysia 9 Kita: The Legal Advice System of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of JAPAN: Between Legal Advisers and Foreign Policy Makers 10 Valek: The Different Roles of the Czech Legal Adviser: From a Watchdog to a Headhunter Part 3: Personal reflections 11 Tladi: Reflection on Advising the South African Government on International Law 12 Alabrune: The Case of the Legal Advisor to the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs 13 Rohnquist: The Role of Legal Advisers in International Law: The Swedish Experience 14 Corell: Personal Reflections on the Role of the Legal Adviser: Between Law and Politics, Authority and Influence Part 4: Functional developments 15 Gussetti: Legal Advisers and the European Union: A new Perspective to Cooperation in International Law 16 Hill: The Role of NATO's Legal Adviser 17 Hughes: The Role of the Legal Adviser in the World Trade Organization 18 Quayle: Legal Advisers and International Organisations: The Convergence of Interior and Exterior Legal Obligations Part 5: Professional requirements 19 Purdasy: The Competency-based Legal Adviser 20 Koh: The Legal Adviser's Duty to Explain 21 Zidar: Legal Advisers and Professional Ethics Part 6: Evolving fields 22 Koskenniemi: The Place of Law and the Role of Legal Advisers in Collective Security 23 Kuhn & Berger: Legal Advisers in the Armed Forces 24 Donatantonio: The Monitoring, Mentoring and Advising Role Exercised by International or Rule of Law Missions in the Prosecutorial Area Concluding part 25 Gauci&Jones: Conference Report 26 Berman: Conclusion Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004280298 20170327
- Publisher's Summary
- The Role of Legal Advisers in International Law sheds light on the position, activities and influence of legal advisers in the domain of international law. This is a novel and edifying perspective in that it surveys and appraises important undertakings of legal advisers in domestic and international legal forums and their role in the development, interpretation and application of international law. Building upon their extensive knowledge and experience, contributors to the book analyse themes such as influence of various legal traditions (including the British) on the work of legal advisers, their position in the diplomatic decision-making process, the role of ethics in providing legal advice, and their contributions - in various forms - to the development and strengthening of the international legal system. Please also see the following related titles: - British Influences on International Law, 1915-2015 (isbn 9789004284166) - British Contributions to International Law, 1915-2015 (isbn 9789004284180).
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004280298 20170327
- Publication date
- 9789004280298 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9004280294 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9789004280304 (online)
Browse related items
Start at call number: