The role of legal advisers in international law
- edited by Andraž Zidar, Jean-Pierre Gauci.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill Nijhoff, 
- Physical description
- xviii, 390 pages ; 25 cm
Law Library (Crown)
|KZ3410 .R655 2017||Unknown|
- Zidar, Andraž, editor.
- Gauci, Jean-Pierre, editor.
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Legal advisers as the visible college of international lawyers / Andraz Zidar and Jean-Pierre Gauci
- The functions of the legal adviser : advising, negotiating, litigating / David Anderson
- The fco's legal advisers and contemporary challenges / Iain Macleod
- The legal adviser and international disputes : preparing to commence or defend litigation or arbitration / Jessica Gladstone
- Legal advisers / Michael Wood
- Organisation and context for the work of the legal adviser : the legal division of the department of foreign affairs and trade of Ireland / James Kingston
- The experience of legal advisers in Costa Rica : a case for peaceful international law / Eugenia Gutierrez Ruiz
- The intersecting professions of the international law adviser and diplomat in a rising Asia : Australia, India and Malaysia / Sarah McCosker
- The legal advice system of the ministry of foreign affairs of Japan : between legal advisers and foreign policy makers / Yasuo Kita
- The different roles of the Czech legal adviser : from a watchdog to a headhunter / Petr Valek
- Reflections on advising the South African government on international law / Dire Tladi
- The case of the legal advisor to the French ministry of foreign affairs / Francois Alabrune
- The role of legal advisers in international law : the Swedish experience / Anders Ronquist
- Personal reflections on the role of the legal adviser : between law and politics, authority and influence / Hans Corell
- Legal advisers and the European Union : a new perspective to cooperation in international law / Lucio Gussetti
- The role of NATO's legal adviser / Steven Hill
- The role of the legal adviser in the World Trade Organization / Valerie Hughes
- Legal advisers and international organisations : the convergence of interior and exterior legal obligations / Peter Quayle
- The competency-based legal adviser / Margaret Purdasy
- The legal adviser's duty to explain / Harold Hongju Koh
- Legal advisers and professional ethics / Andraz Zidar
- The place of law and the role of legal advisers in collective security / Martti Koskenniemi
- Legal advisers in the armed forces / Maike Kuhn and Antje Berger
- The monitoring, mentoring and advising role exercised by international or rule of law missions in the prosecutorial area / Roberto Di Donatantonio
- Conference report : the role of legal advisers in international law / Jean-Pierre Gauci and Kate Jones
- Conclusion / Franklin Berman.
- The Role of Legal Advisers in International Law sheds light on the position, activities and influence of legal advisers in the domain of international law. This is a novel and edifying perspective in that it surveys and appraises important undertakings of legal advisers in domestic and international legal forums and their role in the development, interpretation and application of international law. Building upon their extensive knowledge and experience, contributors to the book analyse themes such as influence of various legal traditions (including the British) on the work of legal advisers, their position in the diplomatic decision-making process, the role of ethics in providing legal advice, and their contributions -- in various forms -- to the development and strengthening of the international legal system.
- Publication date
- 9789004280298 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9004280294 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9789004280304 (online)
Browse related items
Start at call number: