BLAST [electronic resource] : [Basic Local Alignment Search Tool].
- [Bethesda, MD] : [National Center for Biotechnology Information], -
Search this database
- BLAST finds regions of similarity between biological sequences. The program compares nucleotide or protein sequences to sequence databases and calculates the statistical significance.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Basic Local Alignment Search Tool
- File Characteristics
- Computer data and programs.
- BLAST is a service of the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). A nucleotide or protein sequence sent to the BLAST server is compared against databases at the NCBI and a summary of matches is returned to the user.
- Title from home page screen ; description based on the screen of Aug. 1999.
- The first BLAST public database appeared in 1990 via an email server.-- David Wheeler, NCBI User Services (email note, 08/10/99).
- File/Data Type
- Text (HTML), images (GIF & JPG) and search engine.
- Mode of access: Internet.
- Nactional Center for Biotechnology Information
- Related item