Geoscience for the public good and global development : toward a sustainable future
- edited by Gregory R. Wessel, Geology in the Public Interest, Vashon, Washington, USA, Jeffrey K. Greenberg, Department of Geology and Environmental Science, Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois, USA.
- Boulder, Colorado : The Geological Society of America, 2016.
- Physical description
- xi, 478 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color) ; 28 cm.
- Special papers (Geological Society of America) ; 520.
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
|550.6 .G345S NO.520||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Foreword / George H. Davis
- Introduction / Gregory R. Wessel and Jeffrey K. Greenberg
- Fundamentals and foundation : Building good foundations: skills for effective engagement in international development / Joel C. Gill
- The geoscientist as international community development practitioner: on the importance of looking and listening / Stephanie C. Tubman and Rüdiger Escobar-Wolf
- Geoethics: ethical, social, and cultural values in geosciences research, practice, and education / Silvia Peppoloni and Giuseppe Di Capua
- Religious faith as a motivation in using geosciences to develop a sustainable future / Robert S. White and Jeffrey K. Greenberg
- Geophilanthropy, personal and public / Jeffrey K. Greenberg
- Beyond sustainability: a restorative approach for the mineral industry / Gregory R. Wessel
- Metals, minerals, and energy resources : Rare metals, unconventional resources, and sustainability / Ben McLellan, Glen Corder, Saleem Ali, and Artem Golev
- Natural graphite demand and supply: implications for electric vehicle battery requirements / Donald W. Olson, Robert L. Virta, Mahbood Mahdavi, Elizabeth S. Sangine, and Steven M. Fortier
- Industrial minerals and sustainability: by-products from SO₂ mitigation as substitutes for mined mineral commodities / Joyce A. Ober, Lori E. Apodaca, and Robert D. Crangle Jr.
- U.S. Geological Survey assessment of global potash production and resources: a significant advancement for global development and a sustainable future / Mark D. Cocker, Greta J. Orris, and Jeff Wynn
- Elemental cycles in the anthropocene: mining aboveground / Penny D. Sackett
- Geological studies for petroleum exploration analogues in the Wahiba Sand Sea, Oman, contribute to wind energy development / Steven G. Fryberger, Caroline Hern, and Ken Glennie
- Water resources : Telecoupling, urbanization, and the unintended consequences of water development aid in Ethiopia / Stephen M. Chignell and Melinda J. Laituri
- Summary of groundwater resources in Haiti / James K. Adamson, Gérald Jean-Baptiste, and W. Javan Miner
- The Maryland Coastal Plain Aquifer Information System: a GIS-based tool for assessing groundwater resources / David C. Andreasen, Mark R. Nardi, Andrew W. Staley, Grufron Achmad, and John W. Grace
- Appropriate geophysics technology: inexpensive instruments for water exploration at a local level in developing nations / James A. Clark, Richard T. Page, Ryan Franklin, Noah M. Miller, and Michael O. Morken
- Time not wasted: how collaborative research and education help build groundwater sustainability in rural northern Uganda, Africa / Stephanie S. Wong and Joe C. Yelderman Jr.
- U.S. Army-Afghan hydrological development efforts (2008-2014): an improved approach to military aid / Alexander K. Stewart
- Hydrophilanthropy gone wrong: how well-meaning scientists, engineers, and the general public can make the worldwide water and sanitation situation worse / David K. Kreamer
- Ethnogeology in Amazonia: surface-water systems in the Colombian Amazon, from perspectives of Uitoto traditional knowledge and mainstream hydrology / Sandra Carolina Londono, Cristina Garzon, Elizabeth Brandt, Steven Semken, and Vicente Makuritofe
- Engineering, public safety, and urban development : Geology applied to environmental issues for construction of the high-speed, high-capacity Treviglio-Brescia railway line in Italy / Andrea Casazza, Cristiano Zasso, Luca Bellizzi, Franco Lombardi, and Pierpaolo Tommasini
- Mapping of potential mineral hazards in California: protecting public health and safety and the environment / Chris T. Higgins, Ronald K. Churchill, John P. Clinkenbeard, Cameron I. Downey, and Milton C. Fonseca
- Radon research collaboration between the Kentucky Geological Survey and the University of Kentucky College of Nursing: an innovative partnership / Bethany L. Overfield, William M. Andrews Jr., Heather Robertson, Mary Kay Rayens, and Ellen J. Hahn
- Geological constraints on sustainable urban growth and management of the metropolis of Tehran, Iran / Vahid Ahadnejad, Ann Marie Hirt, and Hasan Alizadeh
- Geoscience at the confluence of human-environment interaction in Dakar, Senegal / G. Thomas LaVanchy
- Geologic hazards and risk reduction : Increasing resilience to earthquakes through educating community builders: teaching earthquake-resistant building techniques in Guatemala / David C. Greene
- Reflections on recent recommendations on the use of science in disaster risk reduction using case studies from Bangladesh and the western United States / Susanne Sargeant and Eric Lindquist
- The Kashmir Basin fault and its influence on fluvial flooding in the Kashmir Basin, NW Himalaya / Afroz Shah
- University contributions to risk reduction following a disaster: a case study of reorienting natural hazards research efforts at San Vicente volcano, El Salvador / Luke J. Bowman, John S. Gierke, and J. Fredy Cruz Centeno
- A Peace Corps master's international program in mitigation of natural geological hazards: student outcomes and lessons learned / Stephanie Tubman, Essa Paterson, and John S. Gierke
- Earthquake and landslide hazard assessment, communication, and mitigation in Kentucky / Matthew M. Crawford, Zhenming Wang, and N. Seth Carpenter
- Improvements in shallow landslide susceptibility mapping / William J. Burns, Ian P. Madin, and Katherine A. Mickelson
- Waste management : Waste management practices in Nigeria: impacts and mitigation / David O. Omole, Solomon A. Isiorho, and Julius M. Ndambuki
- Low-tech waste stabilization ponds in the service of the global poor: the W.A.S.T.E. program / Kaitlyn Wallett , Jeffrey K. Greenberg, Jacob K. Kvasnicka, Bayard Pickens, Meagan Jackson, Christine Gamble, Chris Keil, James A. Clark, and Raymond Lewis
- Geographic information system-based impact assessment for illegal dumping in borrow pits in Chachoengsao Province, Thailand / Uma Seeboonruang
- Recycling at a higher education institution: case study of a successful program at the University of Missouri-Kansas City / Syed E. Hasan and Rhonda K. Johnston
- Multiagency and regional approaches : A multiagency and multijurisdictional approach to mapping the glacial deposits of the Great Lakes region in three dimensions / Richard C. Berg, Steven E. Brown, Jason F. Thomason, Nancy R. Hasenmueller, Sally L. Letsinger, Kevin A. Kincare, John M. Esch, Alan E. Kehew, L. Harvey Thorleifson, Andrew L. Kozlowski, Brian C. Bird, Richard R. Pavey, Andy F. Bajc, Abigail K. Burt, Gary M. Fleeger, and Eric C. Carson
- The role of African geological surveys in local and global development / Gabi Schneider
- Toward inclusive development of the Pacific region using geoscience / Michael G. Petterson and Akuila K. Tawake.
- "Offers overview of applications of geosciences to sustainable development and geophilanthropic efforts worldwide, and offers advice to guide creation of development projects. Primacy of geologic input to all development activities is highlighted along with problems that are encountered and environmental issues that must be addressed" -- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- Special paper ; 520
Browse related items
Start at call number: