Meyer Piano Roll Collection
- approximately 1905-1930.
- Physical description
- 1,996 audio rolls
- piano (1) (total=1)
Also available at
At the library
Archive of Recorded Sound
Locked stacks: Ask at circulation desk
Item belongs to a collection
Supplemental materials, including item level inventories, for Archive of Recorded Sound and Music Library collections. These materials support collection finding aids and MARC records without item level description.
- Digital collection
- 29 digital items
- Bauer, Harold, 1873-1951 instrumentalist.
- Brockway, Howard, 1870-1951, instrumentalist.
- Hofmann, Josef, 1876-1957 instrumentalist.
- Roberts, Lee S., 1884-1949, instrumentalist.
- Wendling, Pete, 1888-1974, instrumentalist.
- University of Wisconsin--Madison. Libraries. Mills Music Library, donor.
- QRS Music Rolls, Inc., publisher.
- United States Music Company, publisher.
- Universal Music Company (Chicago, Ill.), publisher.
- American Piano Co., publisher.
- Aeolian Company, publisher.
- This collection contains reproducing and hand-played piano rolls in the popular music and art music genres; manufactured in the United States under the QRS, U.S., Rythmodik, Universal, Duo-Art, and over 50 lesser-known labels. Notable pianists include Harold Bauer, Howard Brockway, Josef Hofmann, Lee S. Roberts, and Pete Wendling among numerous others.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least two business days in advance of intended use. Contact the Archive for assistance.
- Cite as
- Meyer Piano Roll Collection, ARS-0178. Courtesy of Stanford Archive of Recorded Sound, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, CA.
- Property rights reside with repository. Publication and reproduction rights reside with the creators or their heirs. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Head Librarian of the Archive of Recorded Sound.
- Gift; University of Wisconsin, Madison, Mills Music Library; 2014.
- The largest portion of this collection originates from the former Meyer Archive; once held at the Milwaukee Public Library. In 1987, roughly 1,000 piano rolls from the Meyer Archive were transferred to the University of Wisconsin, Madison, as part of a larger collection of historic sound recordings focused on the development of early 20th century, American popular culture. After 1987, piano rolls of the period were added from other sources to the existing collection; prior to its acquistion by Stanford University Libraries in 2014.
Browse related items
Start at call number: