Harvey Houses of Texas : historic hospitality from the Gulf Coast to the Panhandle
- Rosa Walston Latimer.
- Charleston : The History Press, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 128 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Latimer, Rosa Walston, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 121) and index.
- Laying tracks for Texas culture: the Fred Harvey story
- Always fresh eggs: rural Texas Harvey houses : Cleburne (1899-1931) ; Rosenberg (1899-1923) ; Temple (1899-1933) ; Gainesville (1901-1931) ; Somerville (1901-1940) ; Silsbee (1905-1923) ; Amarillo (1910-1940) ; Canadian (1910-1939) ; Sweetwater (1911-1933) ; Slaton (1912-1942) ; Brownwood (1914-1938/1940-1944)
- Fine dining at Union Station: Harvey houses in the city : Galveston (1897-1938) ; Dallas (1901-1923) ; El Paso (1906-1948) ; Houston (1911-1948) ; Fort Worth (1913-1933)
- Souvenirs and flat fifties: Harvey newsstands
- Uncertain stops: lost Harvey houses.
"On the eve of the twentieth century, small-town Texas was still wildcountry lacking in the commodities and cultural centers of larger cities. This changed, however, with the arrival of the Santa Fe rail line, followed quickly by the Harvey House. Established in Kansas by English immigrant Fred Harvey, Harvey Houses could be found throughout the Southwest and adjoined local depots in sixteen Texas towns. Found in every corner of the state, Harvey Houses were not just restaurants and hotels for weary, hungry travelers but were also bustling social centers and often the only commercial outlet for the communities that developed around them. Author Rosa Walston Latimer tells thehistory of hospitality the "Fred Harvey way"; in turn-of-the-century Texas, woven from personal stories of the famous"Harvey Girls"; and other employees of Texas Harvey Houses"-- Provided by publisher.
- "History of Harvey Houses in Texas"-- Provided by publisher.
- Fred Harvey (Firm) > History.
- Hotels > Texas > History > 20th century.
- Restaurants > Texas > History > 20th century.
- Railroad stations > Food service > Texas > History > 20th century.
- Hotels > Texas > History > 19th century.
- Restaurants > Texas > History > 19th century.
- Railroad stations > Food service > Texas > History > 19th century.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781626195240 (paperback)
- 1626195242 (paperback)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: