My tata's remedies = Los remedios de mi tata
- by Roni Capin Rivera-Ashford ; illustrated by Antonio Castro L.
- English, Spanish. English and Spanish.
- First edition.
- El Paso, TX : Cinco Puntos Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 volume (unpaged) : color illustrations ; 29 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PS3618 .I854 M9 2015||Unknown|
"This charming little book will introduce young readers to safe and effective natural remedies from the native traditions of the American Southwest. A good way to learn about the healing power of plants."--Andrew Weil, MD Aaron has asked his grandfather Tata to teach him about the healing remedies he uses. Tata is a neighbor and family elder. People come to him all the time for his soothing solutions and for his compassionate touch and gentle wisdom. Tata knows how to use herbs, teas, and plants to help each one. His wife, Grandmother Nana, is there too, bringing delicious food and humor to help Tata's patients heal. An herbal remedies glossary at the end of the book includes useful information about each plant, plus botanically correct drawings. Roni Capin Rivera-Ashford grew up in Nogales on the Arizona-Mexico border. Born into a pioneering Jewish family with roots in Eastern Europe, Roni embraced the languages, cultures, and people on both sides of the border. Now a retired bilingual educator, her first book, My Nana's Remedies / Los Remedios de mi Nana, is a classic, a parent's and teacher's friend for teaching children traditional values. Antonio Castro L. is nationally recognized for his illustrations of books by Joe Hayes. Teaming up with his son, book designer Antonio Castro H., he uses his exacting illustrative skills to bring to life this story of family and plants. Born in Zacatecas, Mexico, Antonio has lived in the Juarez--El Paso area for most of his life.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Medicinal plants > Juvenile fiction.
- Grandfathers > Juvenile fiction.
- Hispanic Americans > Juvenile fiction.
- Medicinal plants > Fiction.
- Healers > Fiction.
- Grandfathers > Fiction.
- Hispanic Americans > Fiction.
- Spanish language materials > Bilingual.
- Plantas medicinales > Novela juvenil.
- Abuelos > Novela juvenil.
- Hispanoestadounidenses > Novela juvenil.
- Hispanic Americans.
- Medicinal plants.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Remedios de mi tata
- Pura Belpre Illustrator Honor, 2016
- 9781935955917 (hardback)
- 1935955918 (hardback)
- 9781935955894 (pbk.)
- 1935955896 (pbk.)
- 9781935955900 (eBook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: