The Bible in music : a dictionary of songs, works, and more
- Siobhán Dowling Long, John F.A. Sawyer.
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxxi, 339 pages ; 24 cm
|ML102 .C5 L66 2015||In-library use|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 287-294) and indexes.
- Acronyms and Abbreviations Chronology Acknowledgments Introduction Dictionary Bibliography Glossary of Technical Terms Index of Authors, Composers and Musicians Index of Biblical Names Index of Biblical References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780810884519 20160619
- Publisher's Summary
- There have been numerous publications in the last decades on the Bible in literature, film, and art. But until now, no reference work has yet appeared on the Bible as it appears in Western music. In The Bible in Music: A Dictionary of Songs, Works, and More, scholars Siobhan Dowling Long and John F. A. Sawyer correct this gap in Biblical reference literature, providing for the first time a convenient guide to musical interpretations of the Bible. Alongside examples of classical music from the Middle Ages through modern times, Dowling Long and Sawyer also bring attention to the Bible's impact on popular culture with numerous entries on hymns, spirituals, musicals, film music, and contemporary popular music. Each entry contains essential information about the original context of the work (date, composer, etc.) and, where relevant, its afterlife in literature, film, politics, and liturgy. It includes an index of biblical references and an index of biblical names, as well as a detailed timeline that brings to the fore key events, works and publications, placing them in their historical context. There is also a bibliography, a glossary of technical terms and an index of artists, authors, and composers. The Bible in Music will fascinate anyone familiar with the Bible, but it is also designed to encourage choirs, musicians, musicologists, lecturers, teachers, and students of music and religious education to discover and perform some less well-known pieces, as well as helping them to listen to familiar music with a fresh awareness of what it is about.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780810884519 20160619
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780810884519 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 0810884518 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 9780810884526 (ebook)
- 0810884526 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: