The ultimate Classic FM hall of fame
- Darren Henley, Sam Jackson, Tim Lihoreau.
- Uniform Title
- Classic FM hall of fame
- Revised and updated edition.
- London : Elliott & Thompson Limited, 2016.
- Physical description
- xxv, 230 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 27 cm
At the library
Archive of Recorded Sound
|ML156.9 .H36 2016||In-library use|
- Includes index.
- Introduction ...vi-- A Word about Classic FM ...x-- The Top
- 300 Chart ...xii-- The Classic FM Hall of Fame ...1--
- 25 Recordings You Should Own ... 219-- Acknowledgements ...222-- About the Authors ... 223-- Index ... 224-- Contents.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The Ultimate Classic FM Hall of Fame celebrates classical music's unique ability to stir the emotions of a listener - whether it's the haunting melodies of Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs or Purcell's Dido and Aeneas; the passionately charged opening bars of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5; dramatic operas such as Puccini's La boheme; the moving sounds of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2 and Mozart's Clarinet Concerto; beautiful ballet scores from Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky; or blockbuster film soundtracks composed by John Williams and Howard Shore.; This new edition of the Sunday Times bestseller celebrates the twentieth anniversary of the Classic FM Hall of Fame. With a fully updated chart of the nation's 300 favourite works, based on votes cast by millions of listeners over the past twenty years, a revised introduction and beautiful new illustrations, this definitive collection encompasses a rich variety of classical greats, contemporary masters, lesser-known treasures and outstanding British composers to provide a fascinating insight into our relationship with the music we love.; Darren Henley, Sam Jackson and Tim Lihoreau guide us through the world of classical music and the people responsible for creating and performing it. Combining fascinating histories and biographies, recommended recordings and the ranking of the 300 pieces themselves, this book is as relevant to a new listener discovering the joys of classical music as it is to long-time lovers of the genre. The Ultimate Classic FM Hall of Fame is a beautifully illustrated testament to the enduring power of classical music to inspire, entertain, relax and invigorate us.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Previous edition: published as The Classic FM hall of fame. 2011.
- 9781783962686 (hbk.)
- 1783962682 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: