Dreaming in Indian : contemporary Native American voices
- edited by Lisa Charleyboy and Mary Beth Leatherdale.
- Toronto : Annick Press, 
- Physical description
- 128 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 29 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|N6549.5 .A54 D74 2014||Unknown|
- Foreword / by Lee Maracle
- Part 1: Roots. I remember / Nicola Campbell
- 4 reservation food groups / Keesic Douglas
- The place I call home / David Kilabuk
- Home / Zach Medicine Shield, Lia Hart, Julia Shaw, Abigail Whiteye
- To those who bullied me / Tanya Tagaq Gillis
- NDN lady / Martin Sensmeier
- Lakota thunder / Dana Hillestad
- Silenced no more / Isabelle Knockwood
- Leaving home / Priscella Rose
- Indians in the city / Henry Heavy Shield
- Concrete Indians / Nadya Kwandibens
- Part 2: Battles. Growing up with Pocahontas / Kelli Clifton, Alida Kinnie Starr, Charlotte "Skaruianewah" Logan
- What is gender? / Aja Sy
- My reality / Karina Rain Dominguez
- Culture clashes / Tom Greyeyes
- The only place she knows / Tonya-Leah Watts
- Reappropriation / Anthony "Thosh" Collins and Ashley Callingbull
- Hey, Mr. GQ! Building my own runway on the reserve / Christian Allaire
- Indian giving / David Groulx
- Shapeshifter gets a job offer / Courtney Powless
- Super Indian / Arigon Starr
- Stand up and say something / Ryan McMahon
- Poverty / Faith Turner
- Shedding my own skin / Joseph Boyden --
- Part 3: Medicines. Watersong / Christi Belcourt
- Why I hunt: hitting the reset button / JP Gladu
- The power of the land / Duke Redbird
- Music is the medicine / Derek Miller
- Opening my eyes... The sun dance changed my life / Chayla Delorme Maracle
- Culture matters / Derek Nepinak
- What gives you strength? / Youth from Horse Lake First Nation
- Sokolum on the small screen / Heather Hill
- Art outside the box / Louie Gong
- The power of sport / Waneek Horn-Miller
- Modern warrior / Bunky Echo-Hawk
- Part 4: Dreamcatchers. Life lessons / Jade Willoughby
- Adventure in art / Ruthie, Sierra, Chamisa and Santana Edd
- Reunited / Sharai Mustatia
- The road to the red carpet / Michelle Thrush
- Tips from the musical trenches / Conlin Delbaere-Sawchuk
- Idle no more / Kelli Clifton, Raquel Simard, Kris Statnyk
- Salish geek / Jeffrey Veregge
- First nation flavor / Aaron Joseph Bear Robe
- Hoop breaking / James Jones
- Grad: just the beginning / Tenille Campbell
- Weaving dreams / Patricia Stein.
- ["Anthology of art and writings from some of the most groundbreaking Native artists working in North America today. Emerging and established Native artists, including acclaimed author Joseph Boyden, renowned visual artist Bunky Echo Hawk, and stand-up comedian Ryan McMahon, contribute thoughtful and heartfelt pieces on their experiences growing up Indigenous, expressing them through such mediums as art, food, the written word, sport, dance, and fashion. Renowned chef Aaron Bear Robe explains how he introduces restaurant customers to his culture by reinventing traditional dishes. And in a dramatic photo spread, model Ashley Callingbull and photographer Thosh Collins reappropriate the trend of wearing 'Native' clothing. Whether addressing the effects of residential schools, calling out bullies through personal manifestos, or simply citing hopes for the future, Dreaming In Indian refuses to shy away from difficult topics."]
- Indian artists > United States > Biography > Juvenile literature.
- Indian artists > Canada > Biography > Juvenile literature.
- Indians in popular culture > Juvenile literature.
- Indians, Treatment of > North America > Juvenile literature.
- Indian artists > United States > Biography.
- Indian artists > Canada > Biography.
- Indians in popular culture.
- Indians, Treatment of > North America.
- Native artists > Canada > Biography.
- Indian artists.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Issued also in electronic format.
- 9781554516872 (bound)
- 1554516870 (bound)
- 9781554516865 (paperback)
- 1554516862 (paperback)
- 9781554516896 (PDF)
- 9781554516889 (ePub)
Browse related items
Start at call number: