100 contemporary wood buildings = 100 zeitgenössische Holzbauten = 100 bátiments contemporains en bois
- Philip Jodidio ; German translation, Caroline Behlen [and six others] ; French translation, Jacques Bosser [and three others].
- English, French, German. Parallel texts in English, French and German., Translated from the English.
- Cologne : Taschen, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 2 volumes (650 pages) : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 32 cm
Timberland: The wooden structures of the 21st century Not so very long ago, some might have considered wood a material of the past, long since replaced by more modern components such as concrete and steel. The truth is radically different. Bolstered by new manufacturing techniques and ecological benefits, wood has seen afabulous resurgence in contemporary construction.This double-volume survey explores how architects around the world have created and invented with this elementary material. Featuringfollies, very large buildings, and ambitious urban renewal schemes, it celebrates the diverse deployment of wood from architects in China, Chile, and everywhere in between. We see how wood can at once transform urban spaces, as in theMetropol Parasol in Sevilleby Jurgen Mayer H, and allow for sensitive interventions in natural environments, as at theFinnish Forest Research Instituteby SARC Architects, or the Termas Geometricas Hot Springs Complexby German del Sol.True to all TASCHEN architecture tomes, the book pays tribute to many emerging international talents, as well as to such renowned figures as Tadao Ando to Renzo Piano. It celebrates each of these architect s vision and innovation, as well as investigating thetechniques, trends, and principlesthat have informed their work with wood. It examines the computer guided milling that has allowed for novel new forms, the responsible harvesting that allows wood to align with our environmental concerns, and, above all, wood s enduring appeal to our senses and our psyche, comforting hectic modern lives with a sense of Arcadian beauty and simplicity. Text in English, French, and German ".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- 100 zeitgenössische Holzbauten
- 100 bátiments contemporains en bois
- One hundred contemporary wood buildings
- Hundred contemporary wood buildings
- Hundert zeitgenössische Holzbauten
- Cent bátiments contemporains en bois
- Wood buildings
- Includes index.
- The book is in part a compilation from Taschen's previously published "Architecture now!" series.--Recto.
- 9783836542814 (hardback)
- 3836542811 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: