Prescribing cultures and pharmaceutical policy in the Asia-Pacific [print]
- edited by Karen Eggleston.
- Stanford, CA : Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 424 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Eggleston, Karen. editor.
- Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Pharmaceutical policy in South Korea / Soonman Kwon
- 2. The economics of pharmaceutical pricing and physician prescribing in Japan / Toshiaki Iizuka
- 3. The political economy of incrementally separating prescription from dispensation in Japan / Naoko Tomita
- 4. Pharmaceutical policy in Thailand : a review of three decades of government interventions / Sauwakon Ratanawijitrasin
- 5. Pharmaceutical policy in Taiwan / Chee-Ruey Hsieh
- 6. Regulation and the politics of pharmaceuticals in Australia / Hans Lofgren
- 7. The Australian pharmaceutical subsidy gambit : transmuting deadweight loss and oligopoly rents to consumer surplus / Mark Johnston and Richard Zeckhauser
- 8. The evolution of modern Indian pharmaceuticals / Chirantan Chatterjee
- 9. Pharmaceutical policy and health reform in China / Yiyong Yang
- 10. Streamlining China's pharmaceutical distribution channels / Mingzhi Li and Kai Reimers
- 11. Pharmaceutical policy and the appropriate use of medicines in China / Qiang Sun and Qingyue Meng
- 12. Pharmaceutical pricing in China / Yanfen Huang and Yiyong Yang
- 13. Challenges to China's pharmaceutical industry and their policy implications / Wei Wilson Zhang and Xue Liu
- 14. China's underdeveloped drug regulation regime: a threat to global safety? / Michael A. Santoro and Caitlin M. Liu
- 15. Ayurvedic pharmaceutical products : government policy, marketing rhetoric, and rational use / Maarten Bode
- 16. Physicians and pharmacists in comparative historical perspective : the case of South Korea / Karen Eggelston and Bong-Min Yang
- 17. Prescribing patterns in Australia : determinants and implications for the Asia-Pacific / Siaw-Teng Liaw
- 18. Insurance systems in the Asia-Pacific Region : improving appropriate use of and access to medicines / Anita Wagner and Dennis Ross-Degnan -
- 19. Debating drug access and R&D incentives / John H. Barton
- 20. Encouraging innovative treatment for neglected diseases through priority review vouchers / Henry G. Grabowski, David B. Ridley, and Jeffrey L. Moe
- Conclusion: a critical review of the dynamics and regulation of Asian pharmaceutical industries / F. M. Scherer.
- The first section of this report analyzes pharmaceutical policy in China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, and India. The second section focuses on two cross-cutting themes: differences in "prescribing cultures" and physician dispensing; and the challenge of balancing access to drugs with incentives for innovation -- p.  of cover.
- Legislation, Drug > economics
- Pharmaceutical Preparations > economics
- Pharmaceutical Preparations > supply & distribution
- Practice Patterns, Physicians' > economics
- Cultural Characteristics
- Drug Prescriptions > standards
- Health Policy
- Drugs > Administration > Law and legislation > Pacific Area.
- Drugs > Pacific Area > Administration.
- Drugs > Research > Pacific Area.
- Pharmaceutical industry > Pacific Area.
- Pharmaceutical policy > Social aspects > Pacific Area.
- Pharmaceutical policy > Pacific Area.
- Korea (South)
- Pacific Area
- Publication date
- "This book represents the inaugural work of the Asia Health Policy Program (AHPP) at the Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center (Shorenstein APARC) at Stanford University"--P. ix.
Browse related items
Start at call number: