The naked mountaineer : misadventures of an Alpine traveler
- Steve Sieberson ; foreword by Lou Whittaker.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxi, 248 pages ; 22 cm
- Foreword by Lou Whittaker
- Prologue: Where Climbers Are Made
- 1. The Naked Mountaineer: Matterhorn, Switzerland, 14,692'
- 2. Pitching the Horseshoe: Snowdon, Wales, 3,560'
- 3. The Unorthodox Climber: Mount Athos, Greece, 6,670'
- 4. Climbing Backward: Gorge of Samaria, Greece
- 5. No Gods but Me: Mount Olympus, Greece, 9,570', and Mount Olympus, Washington, 7,965'
- 6. Crawling for Sushi: Mount Fuji, Japan, 12,388'
- 7. Knickers in a Twist: Mount Vesuvius, Italy, 4,200'
- 8. Twin Peaks in Paradise: Gunung Agung, Bali, Indonesia, 10,308'
- 9. Expedition to Nowhere: Carstensz Pyramid, Papua, Indonesia, 16,024'
- 10. The Mountaineer Unplugged: Mount Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia, 13,435'
- 11. Northern Exposure: Galdhopiggen, Norway, 8,100'
- 12. So the Last Shall Be First: Mount St. Helens, Washington, 9,677' and 8,363'
- Epilogue: The Sirens' Call.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The Naked Mountaineer recounts a series of solo journeys to some of the world's most exotic peaks in places such as Switzerland, Japan, and Borneo. However, it is far from the typical heroic mountain-expedition book. Although Steve Sieberson did reach many summits, in most cases his travels were more memorable for what he encountered along the way than for the actual climbing. His real adventures involved peculiar people, strange foods, and tropical diseases, rather than pitons, ice axes, and carabiners. On the Matterhorn he met an English alpinist who reveled in naked selfies, he stumbled into a cockfight in a Balinese village, and on a volcano in Italy he was mistaken for a famous singer by an insistent fan. The Naked Mountaineer offers mountain-themed travel stories with a wide-eyed view of the world, while presenting irreverent commentary on climbers and their peculiar sport. These are rollicking tales, filled with the unexpected.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Mountaineer : Alpine traveler
- 9780803248793 (paperback ; alk. paper)
- 0803248792 (paperback ; alk. paper)
- 9780803286511 (epub)
- 9780803286528 (mobi)
- 9780803286535 (pdf)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: