World Geo-graphic Atlas, A Composite of Man's Environment. Geography, Geology, Demography, Astronomy, Climatology, Economics. Privately printed for Container Corporation of America, 1953, edited and designed by herbert bayer [cartographic material].
- Chicago : Container Corporation of America, 1953.
- Physical description
- 1 atlas ; 41 x 29 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G1019 .B3 1953 F||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials., The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 62762 digital items
- Atlases > 20th century.
- World maps > 20th century.
- Physical geography > Maps > 20th century.
- Geology > Maps > 20th century.
- Demography > Maps > 20th century.
- Climatology > Maps > 20th century.
- Economics > Maps > 20th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- From the Preface: "This book is called "WORLD GEO-GRAPHIC ATLAS" because it includes, in addition to GEO-graphic maps, many GRAPHIC illustrations of subjects closely related to modern geography." From the Foreward: "We, in Container Corporation, believe that a company may occasionally step outside of its recognized field of operations in an effort to contribute modestly to the realms of education and good taste. Relatively few people, other than the purchasing agents of manufacturing companies, have occasion to purchase the products of Container Corporation. Most people have occasion to use and study an atlas. It is our hope that this one, quite different from any other atlas we know about, will give information and enjoyment not only to many of our customers, but also to that large number of people with whom Container Corporation unfortunately is in less close association." The atlas demonstrated the post-World War II geopolitical and economic situation. Followed by a German language edition: GOLDMANNS GROSSER WELTATLAS. Munich: Wilhelm Goldmann Verlag, 1955. The international maps of this English language atlas are from the Instituto Geografico di Agostini. Maps of the U.S. are by Rand McNally and Company. Relief shown as combined hachures, shaded relief, and hypsometric tints; bathymetry also tinted. In full color. Lavishly illustrated with drawings and graphics. Editor and designer Herbert Bayer (1900-1985) was prominent in the Bauhaus movement and personally did considerable map research for the atlas. This clear and concise volume relies upon an attractive juxtaposition of physical and political maps, text, thematic maps, illustrations, cross-sections, graphs, and diagrams. Many of the graphics are truly original yet demonstrative of important concepts. Many insets of the vicinities of urban areas. Bound with light brown/beige cloth-covered boards. Front cover has embossed gold text, "WORLD GEO-GRAPHIC ATLAS." Page edges in gold. Same text on spine with a filled gold circle.
- References: Phillips 7549
- World Atlas.
- Pub list no.: 5842.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: