(Hydrography Chart from the The United States Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842)
- Philadelphia : C. Sherman, 1850.
- Physical description
- 1 map ; 1 maps ; 68 x 51 cm.
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|G4282.H65 P5 1850 .W5 COLSEE-ED HARBOUR||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 75771 digital items
- Nautical charts > Washington (State) > Hood Canal > 19th century.
- Navigation > Washington (State) > Hood Canal > Maps > 19th century.
- Washington (State) > Maps > 19th century.
- Quilcene (Wash.) > Maps > 19th century.
- Suquamish (Wash.) > Maps > 19th century.
- Hood Canal (Wash.) > Maps > 19th century.
- Oregon Territory > Maps > 19th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Map Data
- Scale 1:380,160.
- A set of 60 loose sheets (our Pub List Nos. 6941.000-7000.000) printed for individual sale on heavy paper. The charts of islands in the Pacific are likely some of the most detailed at the time (1840). The charts were also published on thinner paper as Vol. XXIII - Hydrography - Wilkes - Atlas of Charts - Vol. I and Vol. II, of The United States Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842. These 60 are not a complete set which consists of 106 unnumbered charts. For more information on the controversial expedition commander Charles Wilkes (1789-1877), the expedition's discoveries, and the resultant publications, see the 1968 bibliography of the expedition by Daniel C. Haskell entitled, "The United States Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842 and Its Publications 1844-1874. Relief shown in hachures. Many maps include horizontal views of islands as seen from a ship. This sheet is a part of a loose set.
- Chart Map.
- References: Haskell 83.
- Pub list no.: 6986.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: