(Hydrography Chart from the The United States Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842)
- Philadelphia : C. Sherman, 1850.
- Physical description
- 1 map ; 1 maps ; 68 x 51 cm.
Also available at
At the library
SAL3 (off-campus storage)
For use in David Rumsey Map Center
|G9482.A22 P5 1850 .W5||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 75817 digital items
- Navigation > Kiribati > Maps > 19th century.
- Nautical charts > Kiribati > 19th century.
- Kiribati > Maps > 19th century.
- Abaiang Atoll (Kiribati) > Maps > 19th century.
- Abemama (Kiribati) > Maps > 19th century.
- Aranuka Island (Kiribati) > Maps > 19th century.
- Kuria Island (Kiribati) > Maps > 19th century.
- Gilbert Islands > Maps > 19th century.
- Hall Islands (Micronesia) > Maps > 19th century.
- Tonga > Maps > Maps > 19th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- A set of 60 loose sheets (our Pub List Nos. 6941.000-7000.000) printed for individual sale on heavy paper. The charts of islands in the Pacific are likely some of the most detailed at the time (1840). The charts were also published on thinner paper as Vol. XXIII - Hydrography - Wilkes - Atlas of Charts - Vol. I and Vol. II, of The United States Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842. These 60 are not a complete set which consists of 106 unnumbered charts. For more information on the controversial expedition commander Charles Wilkes (1789-1877), the expedition's discoveries, and the resultant publications, see the 1968 bibliography of the expedition by Daniel C. Haskell entitled, "The United States Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842 and Its Publications 1844-1874. Relief shown in hachures. Many maps include horizontal views of islands as seen from a ship. This sheet is a part of a loose set.
- Chart Map.
- References: Haskell 83.
- Pub list no.: 6952.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: