Mathematics in games, sports, and gambling : the games people play
- Ronald J. Gould (Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.).
- Second edition.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxiii, 354 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Textbooks in mathematics (Boca Raton, Fla.)
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA401 .G658 2016||Unknown|
- Gould, Ronald, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 347-349) and index.
- Basic Probability Introduction Of Dice and Men Probability The Laws That Govern Us Poker Hands versus Batting Orders Let's Play for Money! Is That Fair? The Odds Are against Us Things Vary Conditional Expectation The Game's Afoot Applications to Games Counting and Probability in Poker Hands Roulette Craps Let's Make a Deal - The Monty Hall Problem Carnival Games Other Casino Games Backgammon Repeated Play Introduction Binomial Coefficients The Binomial Distribution The Poisson Distribution Streaks-Are They Real? Betting Strategies The Gambler's Ruin Card Tricks and More Introduction The Five-Card Trick The Two-Deck Matching Game More Tricks The Paintball Wars Dealing with Data Introduction Batting Averages and Simpson's Paradox NFL Passer Ratings Viewing Data - Simple Graphs Confidence in Our Estimates Measuring Differences in Performance Testing and Relationships Introduction Suzuki versus Pujols I'll Decide If I Believe That Are the Old Adages True? How Good Are Certain Measurements? Arguing over Outstanding Performances A Last Look at Comparisons Games and Puzzles Introduction Number Arrays The Tower of Hanoi Instant Insanity Lights Out Peg Games Puzzles on the Chessboard Guarini's Problem Martin Gardner's No 3-in-a-Line Problem The Knight's Tour Domination and Independence Attacking Placements and Independence Combinatorial Games Introduction to Combinatorial Games Subtraction Games Nim Games as Digraphs Blue-Red Hackenbush Green Hackenbush Games as Numbers More about Nimbers Appendix Review of Elementary Set Theory Relations and Functions Standard Normal Distribution Table Student's t-Distribution Solutions to Problems Solutions to Selected Exercises Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Mathematics in Games, Sports, and Gambling: The Games People Play, Second Edition demonstrates how discrete probability, statistics, and elementary discrete mathematics are used in games, sports, and gambling situations. With emphasis on mathematical thinking and problem solving, the text draws on numerous examples, questions, and problems to explain the application of mathematical theory to various real-life games. This updated edition of a widely adopted textbook considers a number of popular games and diversions that are mathematically based or can be studied from a mathematical perspective. Requiring only high school algebra, the book is suitable for use as a textbook in seminars, general education courses, or as a supplement in introductory probability courses. New in this Edition: * Many new exercises, including basic skills exercises * More answers in the back of the book * Expanded summary exercises, including writing exercises * More detailed examples, especially in the early chapters * An expansion of the discrete adjustment technique for binomial approximation problems * New sections on chessboard puzzles that encourage students to develop graph theory ideas * New review material on relations and functions Exercises are included in each section to help students understand the various concepts. The text covers permutations in the two-deck matching game so derangements can be counted. It introduces graphs to find matches when looking at extensions of the five-card trick and studies lexicographic orderings and ideas of encoding for card tricks. The text also explores linear and weighted equations in the section on the NFL passer rating formula and presents graphing to show how data can be compared or displayed. For each topic, the author includes exercises based on real games and actual sports data.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Textbooks in mathematics
- "A Chapman & Hall Book."
- 9781498719520 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
- 149871952X (paperback ; alkaline paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: