The prayer book of Ursula Begerin
- Jeffrey F. Hamburger, Nigel F. Palmer ; with a conservation report by Ulrike Bürger.
- English, German. Includes English translation from the original German, along with Latin models and sources.
- Dietikon-Zurich : Urs Graf Verlag, 2015.
- Physical description
- 2 volumes : facsimiles, color illustrations ; 30 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- 1. Art-historical and literary introduction
- 2. Reproductions and critical edition.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, German > France > Strasbourg > 14th century.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, German > France > Strasbourg > 15th century.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval > France > Strasbourg.
- Prayer books > France > Strasbourg > Illustrations.
- Catholic Church > Prayers and devotions > Illustrations.
- Burgerbibliothek Bern. Manuscript. 801.
- Manuscripts, German > Switzerland > Bern > Facsimiles.
- Begerin, Ursula, -1531 > Library.
- Publication date
- The manuscript was first conceived for a laywoman of Strasbourg ca. 1380-1410 as a picture book with a cycle of at least 136 fullpage tinted drawings on biblical subjects covering the entire span of salvation history, to which was added an extensive appendix of saints. In the 1470s or 1480s it was remade as a prayer book for an anonymous nun from the convent of St. Magdalena, Strasbourg, through the addition of more than 156 specially composed German prayers. The manuscript later came into the possession of Ursula Begerin, a nun in the convent of St. Magdalena. It is currently preserved at the Burgerbibliothek Bern under the shelfmark Cod. 801.
- 9783859512801 (set hbk.)
- 3859512803 (set hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: