Media, materiality and memory : grounding the groove
- Elodie A. Roy.
- Farnham, Surrey : Ashgate Publishing Limited, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 221 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Music and material culture series.
At the library
Archive of Recorded Sound
|ML3790 .R68 2015||Unknown|
- Roy, Elodie A., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 199-216) and index.
- Contents: Introduction: music, material culture and archaeologies-- Sarah Records (1987-1995) and the everyday-- Ghost Box Records (2004-): materiality, technological mediation and the birth of ghosts-- From collecting to curating and reissuing the recorded past: Finders Keepers (2004-) and reissue record labels-- YouTube archivists, e-collectors and digital flaneurs: the internet and the future of phonography-- Conclusion: the afterlife of music objects-- Select bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Media, Materiality and Memory: Grounding the Groove examines the entwinement of material music objects, technology and memory in relation to a range of independent record labels, including Sarah Records, Ghost Box and Finders Keepers. Moving from Edison's phonograph to digital music files, from record collections to online archives, Roy argues that materiality plays a crucial role in constructing and understanding the territory of recorded sound. With its innovative theoretical approach, the book explores the implications of materialisation in the fashioning of a musical world and its cultural transmission. A substantial contribution to the field of music and material culture studies, Media, Materiality and Memory also provides a nuanced and timely reflection on nostalgia and forgetting in the digital age.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Music and material culture series
- 9781472459480 hardcover alk. paper
- 1472459482 hardcover alk. paper
- 9781472459497 ebook
- 1472459490 ebook
- 9781472459503 epub
- 1472459504 epub
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: