Inequality and economic policy : essays in honor of Gary Becker
- edited by Tom Church, Chris Miller, John B. Taylor.
- Stanford, California : Hoover Institution Press, 2015.
- Physical description
- xviii, 214 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Hoover Institution Press publication ; 664.
- Conference on Inequality in Memory of Gary Becker (2014 : Hoover Institution on War, Revolution, and Peace)
- Church, Tom (Research fellow), editor.
- Miller, Chris (Research fellow), editor.
- Taylor, John B., editor.
- Becker, Gary S. (Gary Stanley), 1930-2014, honouree.
- Background facts / James Piereson
- The broad-based rise in return to top talent / Joshua D. Rauh
- The economic determinants of top income inequality / Charles I. Jones
- Intergenerational mobility and income inequality / Jörg L. Spenkuch
- The effects of redistribution policies on growth and unemployment / Casey B. Mulligan
- Income and wealth in America / Kevin M. Murphy and Emmanuel Saez
- Conclusions and solutions / John H. Cochrane, Lee E. Ohanian, and George P. Shultz
- Remembering Gary Becker / Edward P. Lazear and George P. Shultz.
- Publisher's Summary
- Drawing from a 2014 Hoover Institution Conference on Inequality in honor of Gary Becker, a group of distinguished contributors explore various measures of inequality in America and address the issue of whether or not it is increasing. In looking at this question and examining policy implications, the authors draw on research on human capital and intergenerational mobility. The authors suggest that the emphasis on inequality and redistribution, while not wrong, is nevertheless misplaced, for it may lead us to adopt policies that will disrupt the progress we have made while doing nothing to promote the kind of growth that is essential to national progress.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780817919047 20160619
- Publication date
- Hoover Institution Press publication ; no. 664
- Proceedings of the Conference on Inequality in Memory of Gary Becker held September 25-26, 2014 at the Hoover Institution.
- Includes index.
- 9780817919047 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 081791904X (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780817919061 (epub)
- 9780817919078 (mobipocket)
- 9780817919085 (pdf)
Browse related items
Start at call number: