The state of democracy in Central and Eastern Europe : a comparative perspective
- edited by Ramona Coman and Luca Tomini.
- Abingdon, Oxon : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 121 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Routledge Europe-Asia studies series.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: A Comparative Perspective on the State of Democracy in Central and Eastern Europe Ramona Coman & Luca Tomini
- 1. Reassessing Democratic Consolidation in Central and Eastern Europe and the Role of the EU Luca Tomini
- 2. Quo Vadis Judicial Reforms? The Quest for Judicial Independence in Central and Eastern Europe Ramona Coman
- 3. How Stable and Reasonable is Postcommunist Public Opinion? The Case of the Czech Republic Andrew Roberts
- 4. The State of Political Participation in Post-Communist Democracies: Low but Surprisingly Little Biased Citizen Engagement Filip Kostelka.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The State of Democracy in Central and Eastern Europe brings together scholars specialising in the study of Central and Eastern Europe, and provides a comprehensive analysis of some of the major issues in the democratic make-up of the EU's new member states. The book covers the main dimensions of the state, and contributors discuss questions about the development of democracy in Central and Eastern Europe over the past twenty years. What is the present state of democracy in Central and Eastern Europe more than twenty years since the end of communist regimes? What is the actual functioning of the political institutions of these countries? How is political participation structured, and what role do political parties play in these democracies? What guarantees are provided to limit governmental powers and abuse? What is the role of the judicial system, and the relationship between justice and politics? How can we evaluate the EU's influence regarding democratic consolidation? What is the role of the public opinion? This book was originally published as a special issue of Europe-Asia Studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Democracy in Central and Eastern Europe : comparative perspective
- Routledge Europe-Asia studies series
- 9781138939769 (hbk.)
- 1138939765 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: