Under Our Skin: The Untold Story of Lyme Disease
- In English
- [San Francisco, California, USA] : Kanopy Streaming, 2015.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (streaming video file)
- A chilling tale of microbes, medicine and money, this Oscar shortlisted film has changed the landscape of the Lyme epidemic, bringing unprecedented awareness in an engaging and accessible way. The definitive record of the Lyme controversy, Under Our Skin exposes a hidden story of medical and scientific malfeasance and neglect. As official case numbers explode and hundreds of thousands of people around the world go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed, the film is as relevant and timely as ever.Lyme disease is a canary in the coal mine and case study for what's poisonous in both our environment and our science. At the epicenter a tiny microbe looms, providing a powerful symbol for an issue that is hidden and lurking"”so small yet immense, so real but unrecognized. What has gotten under our skin is not just a microorganism, but a lethal system which has abandoned some of the most needy and threatens us all. Our own human skin is a microcosm of the earth, and the extent to which the earth's body is out of balance, so is our own."I want to show the horror of an illness and an ill system that too long has been ignored. But I also want to show the human and natural beauty right next to it. Sometimes indistinguishable, the beauty and horror are intertwined. If Under Our Skin merely perpetuates the idea that the natural world is perilous, or that human nature is corrupt, we miss out on the beauty that surrounds us. On the other hand, if we are lulled by convention and don't look beneath the surface, we risk infection by the equally dangerous maladies of ignorance and indifference." - Andy Abrahams Wilson, Director Reviews "Like a well-made thriller, gets under your skin"¦more deeply terrifying than any slasher film you'll ever see." - Michael O'Sullivan, The Washington Post"Heart-rending...scary enough to make the faint of heart decide never to venture into the woods." - Stephen Holden, New York Times"Takes what seems to be a straightforward subject...and turns it into a detective story, a romance, an inspirational drama, a conspiracy thriller and a science lesson, all in one." - David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com"The visual beauty of the film underlies its most haunting theme. The closer humans get to nature, the more sensitive they must become to its hidden dangers. UNDER OUR SKIN details a medical nightmare. The movie only looks like a sun-kissed dream." - Michael Sragow, Baltimore Sun"Enthralling and powerful...should bring the arguments surrounding chronic Lyme disease to a wider international audience." - Julian Upton, The LancetAwardsSemifinalist, Academy Awards, Best Documentary FeatureFinalist, Audience Choice Award, Tribeca Film Festival (World Premiere)Winner, Best of Festival, Fargo Film FestivalWinner, Best Documentaries of 2010, Video LibrarianWinner, Best Documentary, Houston International Film FestivalWinner, Best Documentary, Sonoma International Film FestivalWinner, Audience Favorite, Durango Independent Film FestivalWinner, Best Documentary, Okanagan (Canada) International Film FestivalWinner, Best Documentary, Camden International Film FestivalWinner, Best Picture Silver Award, International Health Film Festival (Greece)Winner, Best in Health and Science, CINE Golden Eagle AwardsWinner, Best in Infectious Diseases, International Health and Medical Media Awards
- Release date
- Production date
- Title from title frames.
- In Process Record.
- Originally produced by Open Eye Pictures in 2008.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Publisher Number
- 1129935 Kanopy