Inventing the pizzeria : a history of pizza making in Naples
- by Antonio Mattozzi ; edited and translated by Zachary Nowak ; illustrations edited by Donatella Mattozzi.
- Uniform Title
- Storia napoletana. English
- London, UK ; New York, NY, USA : Bloomsbury Academic, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxxv, 156 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 151-153) and index.
- Foreword Editor's Introduction Author's Preface
- 1. The Origins of Pizza and the Pizzeria
- 2. Censuses and Statistics: Pizzaioli in Their Social Context
- 3. Licenses and the Law
- 4. Inside the Pizzeria and Behind the Counter
- 5. Uncertainty and Continuity in Hard Times
- 6. The Distribution of Pizzerias Across the City
- 7. Historic Pizzerias
- 8. A Family Affair Conclusion: Yesterday's Pizza, Today's Pizza Appendix A, B and C Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Pizza is one of the best-known and widely exported Italian foods and yet relatively little is known about its origins in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Myths such as the naming of pizza margherita after the Italian queen abound, but little serious scholarly attention has been devoted to the topic. Eschewing exaggerated fables, this book draws a detailed portrait of the difficulties experienced by the then marginalized class of pizza makers, rather than the ultimate success of their descendants. It provides a unique exploration of the history of pizza making in Naples, offering an archival-based history of the early story of pizza and the establishment of the pizzeria. Touching upon issues of politics, economics and sociology, Inventing the Pizzeria contributes not only to the commercial, social and food history of Italy but also provides an urban history of a major European city, told through one of its most famous edible exports. Originally published in Italian, this English edition is updated with a revised introduction and conclusion, a new preface and additional images and sources.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Translated from the Italian.
- 9781472586179 hardcover
- 1472586174 hardcover
- 9781472586162 paperback
- 1472586166 paperback
- 9781472586193 ePDF
- 9781472586186 ePub
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: