Alternative countrysides : anthropological approaches to rural Western Europe today
- edited by Jeremy MacClancy.
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2015.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- viii, 172 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- MacClancy, Jeremy.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Alternative countrysides. Anthropology and rural West Europe today - Jeremy MacClancy
- 2. A 'private place'? Changing meanings of the countryside in northern Italy - Jaro Stacul
- 3. Community groups, local politicians and environmental development in County Donegal - Paul Collinson
- 4. Ethnic identity, power, compromise and territory : 'locals' and Moroccans in the Sainte Foy-Bordeaux vineyards - Chantal Crenn
- 5. The New Rural Residents: Emerging Sociabilities in Alava, Basque Country - Josextu Martinez
- 6. Farms, flats and villas: senses of country living in a Basque-speaking village - Kepa Fernandez de Larrinoa
- 7. The recovery of Galician pottery: Craft professions, cultural policies, and identity - Elena Freire Paz Index
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
A fresh anthropological look at a central but neglected topic: the profound changes in rural life throughout Western Europe today. As locals leave for jobs in cities they are replaced by neo-hippies, lifestyle-seekers, eco-activists, and labour migrants from beyond the EU. With detailed ethnographic examples, contributors analyse new modes of living rurally and emerging forms of social organisation. As incomers' dreams come up against residents' realities, they detail the clashes and the cooperations between old and new residents. They make us rethink the rural/urban divide, investigate regionalists' politicisation of rural life and heritage, and reveal how locals use EU monies to prop up or challenge existing hierarchies. They expose the consequences of and reactions to grand EU-restructuring policies, which at times threaten to turn the countryside into a manicured playground for escapee urbanites. This book will appeal to anyone seriously interested in the realities of rural life today. -- .
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780719096846 (hbk.)
- 0719096847 (hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: